The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   The Leaning Forward/Leaning Back Problem (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/leaning-forward-leaning-back-problem-56758/)

MissH 06-07-2010 12:57 PM

The Leaning Forward/Leaning Back Problem

I've been training with my new dressage coach for about 5 weeks at this point (after what feels like an eternity off). Everything has seemed to come back really nicely so far. I took some video this weekend to see "where I was at" - I was fairly happy with one exception. I was for sure that my position had gotten to the point where I was sitting straight/slightly back at the sitting trot in a solid controlled position, but when I look at the video, I am forward just ever so slightly. I'm looking for tips on how to push myself back - if I already feel like I'm leaning back LOTS to get where I'm at now...then it will feel even more drastic if I need to go back further to just be straight - is this making sense? It's SUPER hard to explain...please let me know if I did a good enough job.

Here's the best part - I go to upload the video to my computer to watch the "real size" version of it (instead of the mini-camcorder screen version) and can't find the DC cable to plug it in. So I tried a few things trying to get it to work and I'm pretty sure I completely fried my camcorder in the process, without getting the video off of it. So I am super disappointed, but yes, we have a second HD camcorder at home - so for tomorrow night I will try taping and see if I can post an example of what I mean so you have a tangible example to work with.

In the meantime, would love to hear some thoughts on this issue.

AfterParty 06-07-2010 01:02 PM

I have the problem with leaning ever so slightly forward ( just enough to be classified as leaning haha ) try standing up in your stirrups and sitting down without moving your leg . Also sit more back on your bum get your bum underneath yourself . Another thing that might be tipping you forward is if your legs are back a little too far? Not sure if thats an issue or not . Also I always tell my lesson kids this "stick your boobies out "itll keep your shoulders back and yourself sitting up straight !

MyBoyPuck 06-07-2010 09:53 PM

Leaving your upper body out of it for a moment, where's your trunk sitting? If you take your thighs completely off the saddle and just balance on your seat bones, you can't stay upright unless you're perfectly balanced on your seat bones and butt. After that, it's just a matter of letting your upper body grow straight up from your trunk. I've been doing a lot of work using mirrors and find that when my upper body appears to be too far back, it's actually that I'm sitting too much on my butt. If I'm too far forward, it's because I'm more on my seat bones than my butt. I take my legs off the saddle ever so often, re-establish my center and it all falls into place again.

gerrypony 06-08-2010 07:08 AM

You say you are already feeling like you're leaning back, which leads me to thinking that maybe you've got the end of your spine tucked under. This has the effect of rounding the back, and in most cases sitting too far back. Without the video, it's hard to tell what's going on, so I'm just guessing.

Next time you sit on a horse, see if your stomach is pulled in. If so, it's an indication that your pelvis is not in a natural position - pulling at the end of your spine, and making you feel like you're sitting on your tail. Let us know ... I've got some tips that could if that's the case.

MissH 06-08-2010 12:40 PM

Would that perhaps be the reason that my tailbone is killing me? (other then transitioning to a saddle that's way harder then the one I am used to?)

My session switched from 8pm tonight to 5:45pm - if I can get the camera charged before I go I'll try and tape some trot tonight for you to see whats up.

knaskedov 06-11-2010 07:30 PM

I found the key for me to sitting straight is in my shoulders. I'm pretty tall and even on the ground I don't stand completely upright. When riding my shoulders aren't completely back, which makes me lean forward. But when I pay attention to keeping my shoulders back (up, back and down), elbows at my side and looking forward I'm pretty straight. Also a strong core would be very helpful, situps anyone?