The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Egg Laying Chickens (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/egg-laying-chickens-5676/)

kim_angel 01-30-2008 11:15 AM

Egg Laying Chickens

Does anyone here keep egg laying chickens?

I have some questions about them...

:)

Stepher 01-30-2008 11:45 AM

don't all chickens lay eggs?

8horses 01-30-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stepher

All chicken do lay eggs, its their form of reproduction. However, some breeds are known for their eggs. These breeds are known as laying hens or egg laying chickens(they don't usualy hatch their own eggs, just lay them). These chickens generally lay more eggs then their counterparts.

CuttingEdge 01-30-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stepher

Roosters are chickens too.They don't lay eggs. :wink:
I have some feathered friends on our farm. Kind of a mixed bag of chickens, turkeys, and ducks.... I might be able to help you with an egg laying question.
My best and most consistent egg layers are Rhode Island Reds.
I have one white rooster, eight Reds and five Bar Rocks (black and white stripes)

Vidaloco 01-30-2008 02:53 PM

I keep chickens, what do you want to know. Please don't ask what came first the chicken or the egg :wink:

Vidaloco 01-30-2008 03:27 PM

Cuttingedge- You can keep the RIR chickens. My last order of chicks got mixed up and I got Rhode Islands instead of my favorite Production Reds (a RIR leghorn mix) They arent near as friendly and pick on my Buff Orpingtons. They are good egg layers but not as good as the production reds and they peck at me when I go under them for eggs :evil: My PR's will sit on your lap and just stand there and let you pick them up, same with the orpingtons. I just think the RIR's are meaner.

CuttingEdge 01-30-2008 05:02 PM

Vida, My reds are all tame....I got this batch as chicks and handled them daily, I had 2 red roosters in the bunch I got and when they got larger started showing aggression, in to the oven they went! :D
You are right though, Reds are an aggressive breed....

Vidaloco 01-30-2008 05:08 PM

I didn't handle the RIR when they were chicks as much as I did the PR's that may expain it. I haven't named any of them either :lol: I had one named Shirley that used to work in the garden with me. Just a really friendly chicken. She made the mistake of sticking her head through the fence and one of my dogs took her comb off. We had to eat Shirley so that was the end of my naming chickens.

8horses 01-30-2008 07:47 PM

Reds are misserable chickens. At one point we had a little over 300 production reds. We have never had a better set of laying hens.

LadyDreamer 01-31-2008 12:35 AM

Oh I HATED the RIR Devils we had. We had one nasty rooster, and then my sisters friend gave us, a hen. Soon we had about seven thousand of them.

White rocks and cochins are the best layers we had. I LOVE cochins. Polish are actually my favorite chickens, but they do not make nests or sit on eggs.