The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Ahhhhhhhhh what am I doing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ahhhhhhhhh-what-am-i-doing-56761/)

Indyhorse 06-07-2010 02:31 PM

Ahhhhhhhhh what am I doing

Well, the generous influence of some of our horse rescuers on this board (Draftrider, Squeak, ****edEvans I mean you guys!) has gotten the better of me. While this guy isn't in nearly as bad of shape as the ones they have been working on, he IS within my current means to help.

SO...I'm going to be picking up this new guy either tomorrow or the next day:

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/p...misc/Pony2.jpg

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/p...misc/Pony1.jpg

He's a three year old Hackney gelding, about 12.2 hh, best I can gather from what the current owners are saying. Registered. Broke to ride and drive (they say). They have ran out of money and food, and are getting rid of the pony to afford hay for their other horse. He's skinny, but not as bad as I expected from the advertisement saying he "needed feeding". His hooves look pretty bad, though they say he is completely sound, I see signs of impending founder. Yes, that's a dog collar on him in the pictures. They were going to run him up to Strawtown (auction, major meat market too) on Thursday if they couldn't find someone to take him on trade for some hay. They advertised needing twenty five bales in exchange for him. On the phone she told me she'd take ten. I told her I'd give her thirty.

AfterParty 06-07-2010 02:39 PM

He's adorable , It's so sad that things happen to such sweet animals . I can't believe that dog collar on him . You will do an amazing job of bringing him back , you should keep an update with pictures and all I'd love to follow. I wish I had my own place I'd love to do some rescues .

justsambam08 06-07-2010 02:43 PM

What a cute little guy! He's most definitely save-able.

Speed Racer 06-07-2010 02:47 PM

Seriously, a dog collar? :shock:

Cheapo nylon halters cost all of $10.00, for cryin' out loud.

He's awfully cute, Indy. I wish you the best of luck with him.

Maybe you'll want to take up driving, now that you have a Hackney pony? :-)

shesinthebarn 06-07-2010 02:51 PM

He's adorable! Good luck with him and keep up posted on his progress. I'm especially interested in before and after pics of his feet!

.Delete. 06-07-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indyhorse (Post 653989)
They were going to run him up to Strawtown (auction, major meat market too) on Thursday if they couldn't find someone to take him on trade for some hay. They advertised needing twenty five bales in exchange for him. On the phone she told me she'd take ten. I told her I'd give her thirty.

I wish there were more people in the world like you.

corinowalk 06-07-2010 02:56 PM

Oh my...i said hackneys are cute...he is PRECIOUS! Those feet look bad but in the long way. A couple trims and I think he will be great. And broke to drive is a huge thing for me! Ive always wanted to drive! Weight wise, he doesnt look too shabby. You guys are finding pretty good horses out there...good luck and keep us posted! I love his markings! That blaze is just unusual!

Alwaysbehind 06-07-2010 03:00 PM

He is adorable, Indy!

I can not wait to see the after photos of him.

Doveguy 06-07-2010 03:21 PM

Good for you! I didn't even see the collar. Good grief.

Indyhorse 06-07-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 653999)
Seriously, a dog collar? :shock:

Cheapo nylon halters cost all of $10.00, for cryin' out loud.

He's awfully cute, Indy. I wish you the best of luck with him.

Maybe you'll want to take up driving, now that you have a Hackney pony? :-)

Haha, I'm actually needing to get on the market for a cart. I'm 99.9% certain my pony Misty is broke to drive as well, and I KNOW Claymore is, the first picture I ever saw of him was in a parade, hitched to a black Dr's buggy with red velvet interior, and he had red roses braided in his mane. You can imagine why I fell in love with him from first sight. The breeder actually (supposedly) exhibited him extensively under harness when he was a stallion.

Hell you can MAKE a rope halter for about 5 bucks *lol* People just astonish me. They seem nice enough people, to be honest, just fallen on hard times, both on disability, yadda yadda. They have a 25 year old arab mare they have had for 20 years that they want to make sure they can feed - this little guy was supposed to be for the grand daughter but she's scared of him because he's "prancey". (hhhmmmm. He's young, only lately gelded, and he's a hackney. Is "prancey" really a surprise?)

I can't take the generosity credit, I'm merely inspired by some of our better, more hard-working posters on this board. The hay is sitting in my barn loft, not being used, and I'll be needing to make room for fresh hay in a few months.

corino, I'm actually a little concerned about the yellowing on the front of his feet - I used to have a mini that was a chronic founder with notable rotation when I got her, and she had the same yellowing on the front of her feet. I got her out of it though - hopefully I can do this little guy some good.

Anyways, thanks for the well wishes everyone, I'll get more pictures soon as I get him here, then set about worming, teeth, feeding and footwork!

At least I know for sure he's gelded - the owner told me he got a serious infection after his gelding (only about 6 months ago) that led to quite a few vet bills and part of what put them in this situation.