The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Polo Wraps (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/polo-wraps-56782/)

AngelWithoutWings54 06-07-2010 06:26 PM

Polo Wraps

Myy friend rides her horse in polo wraps, and it looks SO CUTE, but I was wondering if they have any specific purpose other than looking cute.

MacabreMikolaj 06-07-2010 09:20 PM

For the most part, no. The only purpose I ever use them for is lunging because they're very effective at protecting against brushing in young horses - but you can use splint or brushing boots for that.

At the end of the day, there isn't anything a complicated and potentially dangerous polo wrap can do that a specific type of boot can't. By all means, go ahead and use them if they look cute, I know a lot of Dressage riders like them because they believe it's better for the horse to have warm legs when they work, so you're not necessarily going to hurt your horse just make darn sure you know how to put them on properly. I just find them annoying and complicated and completely unecessary - I used to collect them by the bucket full because they were cute and just got fed up with them. :lol:

AngelWithoutWings54 06-07-2010 09:51 PM

Hehe... time to find some royal blue polo wraps... if they're on sale... Because pony is possibly getting a $150 saddle pad to fix a saddle issue. Great...

Strange 06-08-2010 02:53 AM

I agree with Macabre.

If you're getting them just to "look cute" you'll be wasting your money. Polo wraps take a lot of practice to learn how to wrap, and when you do it improperly you're risking serious injury to your horse. If you feel like your horse needs leg protection, get some brushing boots.

SorrelHorse 06-08-2010 05:51 PM

Not really. There are pads you can put under them to help protect the leg as well. I mean, they protect to a certain extent but not as well as a splint boot does. I don't use them unless I'm barrel racing, in which case I have purple ones that match my color scheme.

Oh, and if you wrap them too tight you can seriously damage the legs....but if too loose, you'll end up with wraps dangling from the horses legs and tripping him up.

Gidget 06-08-2010 06:20 PM

They don't have much of a purpose...more of like a decoration so your horse can look adorable =P They can help with some protection if they were to knock up against something but won't protect like splint boots with impaction,etc. I was thinking about purchasing some for my girl.

Gidget 06-08-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelWithoutWings54 (Post 654388)
Hehe... time to find some royal blue polo wraps... if they're on sale... Because pony is possibly getting a $150 saddle pad to fix a saddle issue. Great...

I feel you with the saddle pad deal. My horse has a history of having a bad back and well I am new and didn't know how to properly fit a saddle and got ones too small and too big...I had a little collection for a short amount of time untill I sold them. Anyways, I had to buy a theraputic saddle pad..The brand is ESP and they are AMAZING. You can get some cheaper or you can get the more expensive...I think mine was like $124 or something. If you haven't already bought one i would def. recommend this brand...if you ride english I don't know if they make those for them.

mls 06-09-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 655043)
Not really. There are pads you can put under them to help protect the leg as well.

Pads?

Do you mean quilt wraps? They are NOT to be used for any type of exercise. They are used under polos or track bandages for injury recovery or in shipping under polos in place of shipping boots.

Cherry Hill explains - Horse Tack: Leg Wraps by Cherry Hill

Alwaysbehind 06-09-2010 10:23 AM

Thanks for asking MLS. I was wondering the same thing. I can not think of any pads you add to polos.

SorrelHorse 06-09-2010 12:46 PM

Eh, I don't know the name for them. My trainer had some out of package that she gave me because a gelding I had a few years back needed leg protection, but I wanted to wear wraps and not splint boots. They are like hard like a splint boot where the protection is needed, but then they are cotton-like to wrap underneath the polos.

Trust me, I was equally astonished about them. I haven't seen anything like them since Toni gave me my pair. She says they sell them at tack stores, but I have yet to find any. Best part: You can use them without the wraps, too, so if I don't want to put polos on I can just use those. Granted I don't have a horse who really needs protection anymore, its just safety.

I'll try to get some pics for you guys. These really are the best thing I've found in a long time :D