The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Rope halters (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/rope-halters-56789/)

Indyhorse 06-07-2010 07:07 PM

Rope halters

The dog collar on my impending rescue got me to thinking - for those of you that don't know how, you can make your own halters for roughly 2-5 bucks (depending on the rope you buy). I buy 100 ft of rope at TSC for 14 bucks, and I can make about 5 halters out of it (more if you have smaller horses - most of mine have big ol' drafty heads). You can use 1/2 or 3/8 rope depending on how much "bite" you need. It's hard the first time you do it, after you get the feel of it the first time though, it's a piece of cake. I can make 5 custom halters in my horses size in a little over an hour. The hardest part of the whole process is the fiador knot - and you don't HAVE to use it.

Website to walk you through:

About.com: http://www.frontrangefrenzy.com/horse-halter/make-rope-halter.html

Apolgies if this has been posted before!

mom2pride 06-07-2010 07:20 PM

Thanks...I need to hang onto this one! Been wanting to make my own rope halter for a long time!!!

SorrelHorse 06-08-2010 04:58 PM

Yes, my trainer taught me how to do this. She used to sell them but got so wrapped up in her lessons that she doesn't anymore. It's brilliant, and I would rather do that then go and buy a pre-made one :D

BaliDoll 06-08-2010 05:05 PM

loooove rope halters <3

Katafran 06-08-2010 11:22 PM

Wow, I just made one for the first time! The fiador knot was confusing to tighten, but after I figured that out, it was pretty simple.

equiniphile 06-08-2010 11:26 PM

Spent 3 hours slaving over my first one a year ago to find out I put the tie over the poll on the wrong side!!
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 06-08-2010 11:38 PM

LOL. I usually spend more time readjusting it to actually fit my horse than I do making it in the first place. I think that I will just stick with buying them (though I am expecting a few more in the next couple of days). Now that I have more horses, I need more halters.

CharliGirl 06-08-2010 11:48 PM

Thanks for the link! Horse Illustrated had an article on how to tie your own rope halter a few years back--I spend hour after hour slaving on that thing. These instructions and pictures seem more thorough. I may have to give this a try, seeing as I am short a rope halter!

kevinshorses 06-10-2010 08:11 PM

I have built my own before and as long as I can buy them for 12 dollars I'm going to save myself the headache.

draftrider 06-11-2010 02:22 AM

I make them too- I make 400-500 a year or so and sell them to help out the hay bill for the rescue horses. I charge 10.00 each. I don't use a fiador or blood knots. Last fall a couple friends and I got together and made about a couple hundred of them in a n evening- it was fun but after we all got rope burn and blisters we quit haha