The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Jumping the "young" horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/jumping-young-horse-5679/)

Cheval 01-30-2008 03:06 PM

Jumping the "young" horse.

Give me your opinion on jumping the young horse.
When I say young, I mean horses younger than five years of age.

This is my opinion:
I think that, regardless the height of the jump, horses five years and older can jump whatever height.
I think ground poles is fine. Espically streching over them, etc. It gets them somewhat prepared. Espcially, ground poles that are painted. It'll help them get a great sense of "jumps are okay, no matter the color."
The reason behind this is because their joints don't completely close until five. That's why I'm against racing, because it puts so much strain on the horse.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-YhUVPcKWqk
That video makes me really mad, because that horse is only one. I know the jump is only 6inches (or whatever) tall, but he's still a baby. I know he seems to somewhat enjoy it, but still, I don't think his joints do!

So share your opinions. This is a debate/discussion, but don't take it out of hand.

horse_luver4e 01-30-2008 04:44 PM

I agree but my horse is 3yrs old and I take her over ground poles, logs about 1ft., and cross rails about 1ft. She's doing great but I have only jumped her like a week becuase of bad weather. The ground poles are really helpful with her picking her feet up. She likes the logs and cross rails too, she just hops right over them! :)

appylover31803 01-30-2008 04:48 PM

I agree with you Cheval, young horse need to be done growing before having all that strain put on their joints. I've seen that video on youtube before and didn't like it either. It seemed they were forcing him over the jump (having what looked liked a lunge whip in hand) because for the first few times, he hesitated and then went over it.

I say let them be horses for at least a little while, before you start making them work. and then at around age 2 or 3 when you start training them and doing stuff undersaddle, introduce a jump to break the training up. One day you introduce the saddle, the next you introduce a ground pole.

I think the slower you take it with babies, the better it will come out. Same is true for horses as well. Just my opinion tho

8horses 01-30-2008 06:32 PM

Now, you can't stick one age on every horse. Many of the warmbloods take much longer to mature than most ponies. You have to evaluate the individual horse physicaly, mentally and emotionaly, before you pin an age on them.

JustDressageIt 01-30-2008 07:10 PM

Thank you Cheval and 8horses!!
I am completely against jumping horses, (or doing anything with a young horse) or going too far too soon.
That video made me mad. I don't care how tiny the jump is, the colt was jumping at least 2' over the jump... over and over again. This puts tremendous strain on the joints and associated ligaments. For those arguing "but young horses jump in the wild!" .. yes.. when they absolutely have to. Usually they will go around an obstacle though...

When I eventually get my prospect, I will not jump it before it's 5 years old, and will not jump it over 2' before it's ready. By that, I mean hesitating, not moving forward, etc.
I agree that not each horse can have the label that they shouldn't be jumped before such-and-such age, however I don't think ANY horse regardless of age should be jumping 3'6" at 4 years old. Too much strain. I don't like seeing a young young horse (4 years and younger) to be jumping anything, regardless of height, especially with a rider on board. (I'm talking jumps, not trot poles.)

horse_luver4e 01-30-2008 07:20 PM

That horse was almost 2 and I think it was fine to jump him. He didn't have a rider on him so I think it's fine. Now if it wasn't cross rails it wouldn't be okay. But come on there horses, not glass! :lol: :lol:

My horse LOVES to jump. She loves cross country jumps the best! I like to design the jumps. Make them look like a competition jump. hehe :wink: I stack up some logs like put three together on the ground then two on top the one on top of them and I'll jump her over them! Lol it's so fun but now the weather has been bad so we can't ride outside. :cry:

JustDressageIt 01-30-2008 07:42 PM

Horse_Luver, that is your decision, and I can't tell you otherwise, I just personally would never jump a horse that young, as it can lead to permanent ligament damage. If there was damage done, you might not notice it now, but it can affect a horse when it gets older. And I wouldn't be jumping "solid" jumps that early either. If jumping a horse at a younger age, I would like to use a collapsable jump if anything. Please don't take offence to this, it is just my opinion. I am not attacking anyone, I just feel really strongly about this!

I do not agree with even free jumping a long yearling, again, it can damage ligaments and you might not even notice till it's too late. It may look like that horse is having fun, but I think that horse is very unsure of himself - see him hesitating, guaging the jump, and then springing over it? Not good. He's not even sure how to land properly, and he's over-extending, which could lead to injury.

I'm sorry but I feel very strongly about this subject. I hate it when good horses are ruined due to the stupididity of people pushing them too far too soon.

Cheval 01-30-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt
I do not agree with even free jumping a long yearling, again, it can damage ligaments and you might not even notice till it's too late. It may look like that horse is having fun, but I think that horse is very unsure of himself - see him hesitating, guaging the jump, and then springing over it? Not good. He's not even sure how to land properly, and he's over-extending, which could lead to injury.

I'm sorry but I feel very strongly about this subject. I hate it when good horses are ruined due to the stupididity of people pushing them too far too soon.

Wow - I think we have the exact same thoughts about this!
A lot of people ask me, "But why not even free lunging". I'm say "Because it's almost the same as jumping with a rider, except it takes of like, 150pounds." Still - there is a lot of stress.

There is very interesting opinions, and I love to listen to them.

horse_luver4e 01-30-2008 07:53 PM

I know but show me an old horse that doesn't have arthritis.

JustDressageIt 01-30-2008 07:54 PM

Hehe thanks, Cheval! I feel extremely strongly about this subject... mainly because I come from a showing circuit where young jumpers are the "fad" right now... drives me nuts.
"Look! My 4 year old can jump 3'6""
.. yeah.. show me that horse and I'll show you a lame 6 year old.