The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Save? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/save-56818/)

ThoroughbredXoX 06-08-2010 09:56 AM

Save?

Hi,
My horse has a huge mat in his tail (not quite sure of the measurments) so i've been searching through all of these posts to find the right way to solve our problem. In the future I would like to show him, so would it be best to use conditioner and work it through, or should I cut it?

Indyhorse 06-08-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThoroughbredXoX (Post 654643)
Hi,
My horse has a huge mat in his tail (not quite sure of the measurments) so i've been searching through all of these posts to find the right way to solve our problem. In the future I would like to show him, so would it be best to use conditioner and work it through, or should I cut it?

Elbow grease. There is no quick fix. Douse it liberally with lots and lots of conditioner or a good quality detangler, and start working it out by hand. Don't try to comb it, just use your fingers or you will break the strands. It takes a long time, but it's the only real option I've found if you want to save the tail and not cut it.

smrobs 06-08-2010 03:53 PM

Yep, it will take forever and tails take a long time to grow back if you cut it. I spent about 3 hours working on my mare Bessie's tail shortly after I got her. However, I did use a big tooth comb instead of just working it out with my fingers. I broke a lot of the hair but I wasn't worried about trying to keep it thick. A really good conditioner or a bottle of baby oil are the cheapest options.

BaliDoll 06-08-2010 04:17 PM

ooooh how I hated those, my mare would get the WORST "rats nests" in her tail. Bali never gets anything in his, but my oh my, I have a vivid memory of spending an entire Saturday listening to the radio and combing her tail until I thought I had carpel tunnel! ;)

Just keep working at it... Cowboy Magic de-tangler is GREAT!

Ridehorses99 06-08-2010 04:28 PM

I've used MTG or a detangler plus a lot of patience and it does eventually come out. Believe me, this is much better than trying to grow out a tail. My gelding had his chewed off and I have been working at it for 2 1/2 years to finally get it grown out.

BaliDoll 06-08-2010 04:32 PM

Yes... my boy chewed off his brothers tail and it took 3 years for him to get a full tail back! :-/ baaad bali lol

EA Alayna 06-15-2010 08:40 PM

I use a detangler called salon majic. Its really slimy and works pretty good.
It also cames in handy when putting up tails. It helps when you take their tail out.

SugarPlumLove 06-16-2010 05:45 PM

OMG!!!! I had the same problem with my rescue horse! It was completely tangled and it looked like a baseball bat! I was just about to cut it off when my friend came running at me with a can of WD-40. Have you ever heard of it? It works wonders!! He tail looks beautiful now... Just like an andalusian tail should.

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 06-18-2010 04:42 PM

I do know that Cowboy Magic De-tangler works really well, little pricey, but better then cutting it....
I have heard from others that baby oil does the same thing too, don't know if that is true or not? Seems like it would really attract dirt and dust?

SugarPlumLove, did the W-D 40 dry the hair or anything? That sounds interesting too....

I have a gelding who's mane twists up like crazy the second I turn my back, so I am looking for some thing that works great, but is easier on the wallet!
(and yes, I am always willing to ad my elbow grease to the mix :lol:)

SpiritedLittleCopperSpots 06-18-2010 04:45 PM

Sorry, there was a problem with the loading, and it put my comment in twice.
Did not know how to delete the post?????