The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   ?A few questions for the professionals? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/few-questions-professionals-56845/)

wannahorse22 06-08-2010 04:50 PM

?A few questions for the professionals?

1) Do horses really need to be fed 3x a day? Or would 2x a day be fine?
2) *ONLY ANSWER THIS QUESTION IF YOU CARE FOR YOUR HORSE AT YOUR HOME* Is it difficult to care for your horse and maintain good grades in school all at once?
3) Does owning and caring for a horse help you stay in shape?
4) Do you ever regret purchasing your horse? Was it a BIG change?
5) How often do you ride your horse(s)?

:DAny other information you would like to add would be much appreciated:D

BaliDoll 06-08-2010 05:02 PM

We feed twice a day back home, I think it just depends on how much hay you're feeding and what type. We did twice a day alfalfa and our horses stayed in shape fine.

2) *ONLY ANSWER THIS QUESTION IF YOU CARE FOR YOUR HORSE AT YOUR HOME* Is it difficult to care for your horse and maintain good grades in school all at once?
If you are doing it all on your own, yes. My brother and I would feed in the afternoons before homework and then my mom would do the mornings while we were getting ready for school- but it was hard work even with three of us doing it. Then again, we had 8 horses- so maybe that was part of it ;)

Assuming you are spending a good amount of time mucking out stalls, grooming, feeding, riding, etc... yes. It's not enough to make you lose a ton of weight or something, but it keeps your body working!

I grew up with them, so I never knew *not* having a horse was even possible until my first day of school ;)

When I lived at home, everyday, or nearly everyday. Now that I am in college and my horse is 35 minutes away, three times a week if I am REALLY lucky. However, I'm moving and he's moving and we'll be 15 minutes away from each other in august!!! I can't wait! :)

If you are begging your parents for a horse and that's why you are asking the questions, I would say you should acknowledge you will need their help to take care of it, so you don't all end up resenting the horse. It's a whole family production- even if that means just them paying the vet bills, it's still an entire family decision and you shouldn't make it sound like it won't be- they need to know what they will be in for, too.

Strange 06-08-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannahorse22 (Post 655041)

1) Depends on the horse and depends on the work they're in as well as if they're stalled or not. My gelding is out on some pretty rich pasture most of the day, and when he's not on pasture he's in a dry lot. He gets a few flakes of hay when he's in the dry lot, but he doesn't need much more because he's out all day grazing.

2) No. It actually helps me maintain my grades because it gives me something to help relax and de-stress.

3) Yes, it definitely does.

4) No, I don't regret it. And no it wasn't really a big change. I've owned horses before and been riding for almost my entire life.

5) At least 4 times a week, sometimes more.

iridehorses 06-08-2010 05:43 PM

I've never fed 3x per day but always 2x

It's not difficult to care for a horse at home - in fact most find it therapeutic. There is no reason for it to effect your grades if you budget your time.

It used to ... but that was over 30 years ago.

It was a huge change but one I've never regretted - my family, on the other hand .... not so much.

Several times per week, but even when I can't, I get so much out of just being around them.

When it's in your blood, it will always be there, no matter how long it takes to finally own one (or two or three - sometimes they are like potato chips - you can't have just one)

SorrelHorse 06-08-2010 05:45 PM

1) It depends on how much you are feeding and what you are feeding. My horses get fed twice a day, three alfalfa flakes morning and evening with Omolene High Performance grain.

2) Not really. I manage just fine.

3) Of course! It's a lot of physical work to care for a horse and a lot of excersize.

4) I have been with horses since I was born, so I don't know if the change is applicable for me. But, we have bought several horses over the years and it is a challenge to learn about the new personality.

5) Every day, sometimes twice a day. I work all of my horses and maybe give them a day off every week, or two if they get lucky. I also excersize some of my trainers horses for her on occasion.

corinowalk 06-08-2010 05:52 PM

1) My horse currently gets no grain when he is not being worked. Our horses are turned out on 40 acres of good pasture so hay is given in the morning as a snack while they relax in stalls. 3X a day might help if a horse was being ridden consistantly but for a horse not in serious training, i think that might get out of hand quickly.
2) When I was younger, it only affected my grades in a positive manner. I had very strict parents who stuck to their guns. If my grades slipped one bit...the horse was gone. That is a very good incentive to keep on top of it!
3) While riding is exercise and general work is exercise also...I think that it isn't enough for weight loss. You get conditioned to the work and then it gets absorbed into your routine. When I started with horses, i would huff and puff while making hay. My legs would scream after a ride. Now, I can put up hundreds of bales of hay without getting close to out of breath and my legs hardly ever hurt.
4) I never regretted having horses. When I had to take a break while I had my own children, I missed it terribly. Its simply in your heart or its not.
5) I ride 3 times a week. My horses are currently boarded and that makes it EASIER. If I had my horses at my house, I would probably ride less. It sounds silly but when there is work to be done, play gets put off.

mom2pride 06-08-2010 05:58 PM

I feed twice a day currently, but she's given quite a bit, so she can 'browse' as she wants...also has pasture; not great pasture, though considering we live in the desert at present, but there's also browse there.

Well, I'm not in school, but when I was, no, I didn't find it difficult to maintain my horses and grades; I think it's far more difficult to balance work, hubby, and all that other stuff that comes with 'after college' and married life!!! Hahaha

It certainly can...and atleast you actually 'have' to do something each day, cause it's not like your horse can muck his own stall and spread hay, give itself grain, etc!

It IS a big change, because you have to learn to balance your horse life, and 'normal life'...I do think balancing school life, was much easier than 'after school' life. I do not ever regret owning horses, even when it gets hard to balance at times.

I try to ride 3-5 times a week, although with an impending move, I have only done ground work as time has allowed; my horse is a 'release' for me, so even when it's hectic I try to get out there and spend some time with her.

smrobs 06-08-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannahorse22 (Post 655041)

1) My customer horses get fed 2x per day. However, depending on how much and what kind of food you are feeding that can vary. If you are feeding forage (grass, alfalfa, etc) and feed enough at once that they can 'graze' on it as they choose, you can get by with 1x per day. You just don't want them to completely run out and be without for several hours.

2) It wasn't for me. I would get up and feed before school and then ride in the afternoons between school and basketball practice. Then feed/water in the evening and then come in and do homework. Horses are actually what kept me sane and gave me the motivation to actually do my schoolwork.

3) Absolutely. Between the actual riding and the feeding and watering and, if you keep it stalled, cleaning up after it, that is quite a workout.

4) I can't really answer this one because I have always had horses. However, if I suddenly had to sell all of mine............well, I think I would rather die.

5) I don't get to ride my personal horses nearly as often as I would like but I am on at least 1 horse every day, usually 3 or 4 different ones.

A horse can either make or break a person. It is a lot of work to have them but IMHO, it is totally worth it. Some people don't get enough enjoyment out of them to justify the cost and time it takes to care for them and thus, don't keep them for very long.

BaliDoll 06-08-2010 07:51 PM

haha! this is making me laugh that everyone else who was responded to this never had their grades suffer cause of their horses.... i guess i put my fun with them ahead of my schooling too much.. lol

smrobs 06-08-2010 07:55 PM

^^My grades weren't that great to begin with cause school just wasn't my thing. I spent most of my school career with a broken "give-a-****"er so my grades sucked because of that. I seldom did my homework anyway, horses or not LOL.