The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Track Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/track-riding-56869/)

alexx 06-09-2010 05:16 AM

Track Riding

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum..
name's alex :) I'm 18 and have just been offered a job as a track rider.
Was just wondering if anyone had any experience, and what they thought of it :) Cheers.

StormyBlues 06-09-2010 12:12 PM

Like an exercise rider for a racing stable? I have never heard of "track" riding.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 06-09-2010 12:20 PM

I think she means an excersize Jockey....Oh well, doesn't matter you're on a racehorse and you're running...

I, personally, have never had a job for any stable in the racing industry but I have breezed my own horses before just for the heck of it. The track near us sometimes has open days when anyone can go and just ride around. I took my ex-race mare Annie there and she had a blast, I could so tell she missed the track. I also had the opportunity to breeze one of my trainers older racehorses who I adored. He was ten years old but he had been doing well at the local track and still gentle as a lamb. Of course, I wasn't wearing jockey silks nor did I have the correct weight on my horse, lol. Just me, a jumping saddle, the horse, and running for no reasona t all.

I enjoyed being able to just run, not worry about patterns or music to stay in tune with. No other riders to bump into me (They only let one person out at a time, unless the person has multiple horses.)

You'll have fun, I think. I'm no jockey, but I enjoy running just like any one of them.

Speed Racer 06-09-2010 12:21 PM

Has to be, Stormy. Races are only ridden by licensed jockeys.

In fact, even exercise riders should be licensed. Everyone who works at a race track is supposed to have a license for whatever it is they've been hired.

I'm a little suspicious of this post, though.

OP, if you're on the up-and-up, PM forum member Sarahvner. She has track experience.

StormyBlues 06-09-2010 12:24 PM

Well I know they couldn't be jokeying but I dint know if they ment something else. But if we are talking abou the track here

you will most likly need to be alot stronger than you are. And probably keep your wright under or around 130 lbs. Work out, run, eat right. I'm planning on gettig a job as an exercise rider once I'm 16.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexx 06-09-2010 06:16 PM

haha, thanks guys, we call it track riding here, excercise riding too, but thanks anyway. Yes I do have to get a licence, and gosh no I'm definitely not a jockey.