The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Tips for better hands in rising trot (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/tips-better-hands-rising-trot-56883/)

Valley 06-09-2010 11:24 AM

Tips for better hands in rising trot

Hi

I am new to this forum and just starting to have lessons again after a 2 year break. I don't have a horse at home (anymore) so can't practice outside weekly lessons.

Anyway in my lesson today I was having a lot of diffculty keeping my hands still in rising trot and was wondering if anyone has any tips/advice? This used to be an issue but never as bad as today.:oops:

StormyBlues 06-09-2010 12:18 PM

Carry a crop horizontallly under your thumbs. The you can see how much their moving and fix it.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 06-09-2010 12:34 PM

I agree with above post. That's what I did when I had the same problem.

Valley 06-09-2010 08:11 PM

Thanks for the advice.:D

glam1 06-11-2010 05:30 AM

thanks i will try that too:lol: i'm having problems too as my boy leaps into the trot......

White Foot 06-11-2010 07:01 AM

I had to learn how to ride without reins and without stirrups so I learned to use the horse to help "push" me out of the saddle and I didn't use my stirrup irons. Alot of people use the irons which results in having a huge thrust out of the saddle and messes up your hands.

glam1 06-11-2010 07:09 AM

i'd love to have someone on lunging him so i could that .......mmmm who to ask.

White Foot 06-11-2010 07:25 AM

Yeah, see if you can find someone trustworthy. It helps to make you an all around better rider. When I took my first riding lessons I didn't even know you could post, let alone what that was. So I thought that everyone rode at the sitting trot.

One day another rider was in the ring and was posting, I couldn't help but laugh thinking "what is she doing?" then my trainer had to break it to me.. >_> she told me about the sitting trot. I thought it was so easy and I was mad she didn't teach me it before. Now I'm glad she did.