The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Lounging (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/lounging-56893/)

laiken 06-09-2010 02:01 PM

Lounging

I hope that i spelled that right..ok so i have my 9 month old colt..so to give hime a lil exercise i put him on bout a 20 foot rope and got him to go round, then i tried to get him to go the other way and he just kept backing up and all of a sudden he tripped over his feet..kind of gracefully layed to the ground and rolled over..i was in shock i felt so bad, and i wasnt walking toward him when he was backing either i was just pointing the way i wanted him to go..he's ok i just felt awful..any suggestions on how to go about this..again im learning...anything else for exercise i walk him but didn't know if that was adequate...thanks for any help

Tina 06-09-2010 02:13 PM

I went through this with my filly. Unfortunately you have to just keep asking until they figure it out what it is that you are asking. If you can use a round pen that works best. However if you dont have access to one I would suggest getting close to a fence or wall so that he cannot back too far from you and you can position yourself to close off the other direction. Start with your lunge line shorter when starting him in the other direction (about the length of a lead line). As soon as he gets it have him stop and start again a few more times and praise him immensly. Then stop the lesson and do something else for a little while then go back to it. With practice, they get it and master it quickly. Babies are clumsy and I'm sure that you didn't hurt him. In fact he will probably have many more oopsies throughout his maturing years. Its like the toddler that just learns to walk, and mom is so proud until he get his first shiner from his first fall. Good luck and have fun : )

maura 06-09-2010 02:18 PM

Personally, I wouldn't be lunging a colt at that age.

I would work on ground manners, and *perhaps* ground driving a little later.

Lunging in a 40 foot circle is too hard on young bones and joints, IMO.

laiken 06-09-2010 02:27 PM

ok..so when u say ground manners..what exactly does that include..he leads..and im trying to get him to tie while grooming and bathing..any suggestions even my pregnant are does not tie well i was told when i got her she did but im not having any luck..so my boyfriend holds her while i wash..i want him to put in a post to tie to instead of the fence or would two posts be better to tie each side so harder to pull back Suggestions..PLEASE

justsambam08 06-09-2010 02:45 PM

Leading, backing, and yielding his hindquarters and forequarters independently are all examples of groundwork. You can even work on side passing.

If you want to teach him how to tie, straight tie him to one post, not two (thats cross tying, that comes after single tying) and just let him work it out for himself. Make sure you stick around with some sort of knife to cut him loose if he gets into a real jam, but thrashing, pulling, etc are all pretty normal.

Also, picking up his feet without a fuss, loading and unloading onto a trailer,accepting being sprayed with a hose (for bathing), and the really important one, sheath cleaning, are other things you can desensitize him to/work on while hes young.

laiken 06-09-2010 02:49 PM

Great..i really appreciate everyone patience..sometimes i don't want to ask certain questions cause i feel dumb..but again im learning..so is there a way to explain the yielding the quarters and sidepassing and i will do some reading also.thank you

justsambam08 06-09-2010 02:54 PM

For yielding quarters, the best way to explain it is for forequarters, they movie their front feet without moving their back feet....basically spinning in a circle. Same for yielding hindquarters, except reversed. Side passing is just moving to the left and right by crossing their feet over each other.

I couldn't tell you how to teach a young horse to do it, my gelding does the hindquarters almost automatically if you put a hand back there.

laiken 06-09-2010 03:02 PM

thank you so much....very helpful

5cuetrain 06-09-2010 04:28 PM

Spend a little time researching a system of training your colt. It is a step by step kind of thing. Piecemealing it usually doesn't yeild a good result.

There are many systems out there. Clinton Anderson has a pretty good one that includes working with a youngin to get him prepared for the future.

maura 06-09-2010 05:52 PM

Also....it is not "normal" for a horse to get confused/tangled and lay down/fall over on the lunge line. Not normal, and not good.

A horse should understand basic voice commands and body language cues for walk, trot and whoa before lunging. That's part of the ground work that the other posters are referring to. If a horse understands cues for walk, trot and whoa in hand, the transition to lunging is easy. With no backing up and falling down.