The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Do you think we need them? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/do-you-think-we-need-them-56905/)

wannahorse22 06-09-2010 04:32 PM

Do you think we need them?

So lets say I got a horse:) I would have to ride on grass (or not comfy arena sand ,if you want to say that). I fhtis horse was still a little green and we are practicing jumps. Would you suggest a body protecter?? And when riding do body protecters make it hard to post ect.?

SorrelHorse 06-09-2010 04:36 PM

Well, as far as protectors go, I find them useful tools to have when you are doing serious competing. I, myself, would not wear one just because I've been on green horses without killing myself for fifteen years.

But here's my question: If you have never owned a horse before (Which is what I gather from your previous posts as well as this one) why the hell would you buy a green one?

xdrybonesxvalleyx 06-09-2010 04:40 PM

I agree. If you're looking into buying a horse find one that is highly trained and not green AT ALL.

As for body protectants, I'd use for serious competitions but if you're going to get into a sport like this you need to be prepared for a fall. Know the risks of getting hurt and feeling pain, but know that most likely you won't die without protectants (except a helmet I think IS very necessary)

wannahorse22 06-09-2010 04:41 PM

Oh haha! I ride and take lessons at a barn. (I am actually riding a green horse now) And i have fallen off more then once

xdrybonesxvalleyx 06-09-2010 04:47 PM

Well know that regardless of your horse's training you are in good hands. If you are taking care of a horse by yourself you may be alone or with friends your age and experience, and not constantly being attended to by your trainer in case something goes wrong, and ALWAYS assume that something may go wrong. Even the best horse can bolt, but it's best to keep the odds in your favour.

wannahorse22 06-09-2010 04:52 PM

Ok, thanks:D

megannnn 06-09-2010 07:47 PM

my first horse was a green horse. and actually hes still green:) But let me say he was THE calmest sweetest three year old ever. everyone thought he was bomb proof. including my trainer my parents my friends. No one thought he would hurt a fly. Well lets just say one day he decided he would be frisky. I fell, landed on my feet but then was more or less mauled over. I permantly hurt my knee. and i have severe problems with it now. even sitting down it HURTS. So no matter the horse EXPECT for things to go wrong. Even the best horses have their moments. Even the predictable horses are unpredictable to a point.so morale of the story? always be prepared for everything:) if you think you need the vest. whats the harm? you are just be safe. especially on a green horse.and yes i still have the horse and love him to death:) but he has acted up here and there since then.

Cougar 06-11-2010 04:43 AM

I always wear mine when mounted. No ifs about it. I don't find them awkward or uncomfortable to ride in at all anymore. Thats actually why I ride in them all the time. So that when I do compete I don't feel weird.

corporate pride 06-11-2010 05:50 AM

i only use mine in cross country. the first few years i did really low grades then i went up to c grade and i bought one. didn't even use it when i took my young one out the first time