The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   To Buy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/buy-56949/)

Piper182 06-10-2010 01:45 AM

To Buy

Hi,

So, I have had a few loves the past 13 years. I finally graduated from college and i want to buy a horse. my first and greatest love is the same age as me 22. others range from 8-24. my "mama" is a mare who i trained for five years but shes now safe in the schooling program at my barn.

five of the others are unaccounted for/ unhappy/possibly murdered. do I try to find the other horses and save my loves or do I make sure my current love of five years is safe forever (she was abused hardcore for the first 14 years of her life and I spent 5 years rehabilitated.). I know that one turned into a "bitch/horrible mistreated" and another one was supposedly shot in the forehead.

What do I do??? I love them all , but I promised the first that I loved him the most. I tried to follow him but I couldn't. He should be 22/dead :(.

Deerly 06-10-2010 02:28 AM

I think you should make your decision on which horse you'll be able to get the most use out of and grow with. Think about what direction you want to go in now or possibly in the future. Take advantage of being young and chose a horse you can grow with and be flexible in which directions you might find yourself in!

draftrider 06-10-2010 04:55 PM

Do you think that perhaps rather than being unloved/unhappy/murdered because they aren't with you, the horses you've owned in the past might just be cherished now by a person that loves them?

My goodness if all I dwelled on was negativity and what if's on every horse I've rehabbed and rehomed, I'd sink into a swill of darkness and wither up and die.

Just pick a horse that fits your needs now and hopefully for your future goals.

Speed Racer 06-10-2010 05:10 PM

Thank you, draftrider. Excellent post.

OP, what makes you believe that all these horses have met horrible fates? Since you have no clue what happened to them, they could very well have loving, forever homes. Even if they don't and have been put down, that's hardly what I'd call 'murdered'.

I say find a horse who reflects what you want to do now, riding discipline wise, and forget about 'saving' these others, especially since you have no proof that they're in need of saving, or where they might even be.