The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Any other readers? (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/any-other-readers-56971/)

StormyBlues 06-10-2010 12:38 PM

Any other readers?

So I read... alot. I have about 50 books on my list of "to-reads" this summer!:lol: So anyone else out there love reading? Any good books you've read latly?

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-10-2010 12:42 PM

I'm not the biggest fiction reader... but I'm about halfway through a book I'm enjoying called "Merle's Door". You have to have an interest in dogs, though.

The author tells a good story (biography of his dog) and teaches you history and science behind wolves and domesticated dogs along the way.

farmpony84 06-10-2010 12:43 PM

I love reading. I havne't read any good ones lately but I've read so many... I used to love the Fury of Broken Wheel books (they were written by albert miller.) I was a teen when I read them but they were written back in the 40s or 50s.....

Alwaysbehind 06-10-2010 12:46 PM

I love reading but I read very slowly so I do not get thru too many books.

Not reading any books right now. Too much else going on.

Speed Racer 06-10-2010 12:47 PM

I'm an equal opportunity reader, but I do love good sci-fi/fantasy/horror.

I read whenever I get the chance, which isn't often anymore, unfortunately.

I stick with anthologies nowadays, because a humongous book of short stories is easier to read than a humongous novel.

One of my favorite books of all time is Alexander of Macedon. It's about Alexander the Great. I'm fascinated by ancient history, and this book is a biography, not a work of fiction.

ALottaTrot 06-10-2010 02:25 PM

I read a lot as well. And my list of books I need to read is even longer than the list of books I have read. Usually I am reading 5 or 6 books at once. I have worked in a library the past 5 years, so my book collection and list grows daily and is out of control. Right now I am reading:
Chosen by a Horse by Susan Richards
Atonement by Ian McEwan
Field of Thirteen by Dick Francis
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
and I have so many others in waiting...

StormyBlues 06-10-2010 02:47 PM

This summer I plan on reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglous Adams, which is suposed to be SO good, acording to my friend Hope. :) Anyone read Maximum Ride by someone Patterson?

I am more into fiction than non-fiction. I like a good story :)

Jake and Dai 06-10-2010 03:35 PM

I am a voracious reader and can, and have, read up to 5 books per week. The Kindle is my best friend so that when I travel, I don't have to carry a bunch of extra weight.

I'll read just about anything fiction and if I'm in a waiting room without something to read I literally start going in to withdrawal (I get very very antsy).

I'll still buy certain author's books in hard cover because I do tend to re-read them. Anything and everything by Dick Francis is great! The 3 books out by Stieg Larsson, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest are fantastic (but they should be read in order). I also like Robert Parker's Spenser series.

I also like Rita Mae Brown and her foxhunting mystery series a lot!

And there are about a thousand other books that I could recommend. LOL

But strangely enough...I though Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code was just...eh.

gypsygirl 06-10-2010 04:57 PM

i love anything by dick francis... i have read all his books at least twice [some ive read about 20 times] i am currently reading break in

i also like cut throat & a couple others by lyndon stacey..she writes books about horses too

Jake and Dai 06-10-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 656976)
i love anything by dick francis... i have read all his books at least twice [some ive read about 20 times] i am currently reading break in

i also like cut throat & a couple others by lyndon stacey..she writes books about horses too

LOL Gypsy...I've read a few of DF's books 20 times as well! I'm not as keen on the one's co-written with his son but I still hope he carries on with the family tradition.

I've read a few by Lyndon Stacey and like them as well. Two other good 'equine mystery' authors are Kit Ehrman and John Francome.