The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   Fencing (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/fencing-56973/)

kmdstar 06-10-2010 12:51 PM

Fencing

What, in your guys different opinions, is the best type of fencing?

I've been trying to figure out the past few days what kind of fencing I want, but I really don't know. I just want something that is safe for the horses and that they can't get out of. So, I want opinions from people who have experience with different types of fencing, what do you have? Do you like it? Would you have picked something else now that you have what you have? Pictures?

Alwaysbehind 06-10-2010 12:54 PM

I will start with - there is no fencing that is 100% safe and that will keep all horses in. :wink: Darn things were born trying to kill themselves and seem to always find a way out at the most inopportune times.

I have no climb on wood posts with a board across the top in my paddock areas. My pasture is white coated electric wire on wood posts.

kmdstar 06-22-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 656716)
I will start with - there is no fencing that is 100% safe and that will keep all horses in. :wink: Darn things were born trying to kill themselves and seem to always find a way out at the most inopportune times.

I have no climb on wood posts with a board across the top in my paddock areas. My pasture is white coated electric wire on wood posts.

LOL they are just accidents waiting to happen!

Anyone else have any opinions on fencing?

themacpack 06-22-2010 10:34 PM

We have, and love, horse-cote/hot-cote wire on three sides and plank fencing on the run that is up nearest the house. All on wood posts

payette 06-23-2010 02:46 AM

We have electric fence, which is fantastic exept for the fact that our pony tears through it whether it is on or off. So for him we have powdercoated round pen panels. . .

maura 06-23-2010 07:14 AM

If money were not an object, I would have diamond wire with a board and a strand of hot wire on top, or 4 board oak on 4 x 4 posts with a hot wire on top.

Since money was an object :-), I have the 4 board on the road frontage, and high tensile wire on the other three sides. Six strands of high tensile wire is strung on 8" posts every 20 feet, the top and the second from the bottom wire are electric. This has the added advantage of keeping the neighbor's dogs out of the paddock. It's easy to maintain, decent looking and very safe for the horses. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7005876_n.jpg

Here's the thing about fencing - if a horse has good forage, water and companionship, you can keep them in with a piece of string. If they don't have those three things, you can't keep them in with a brick wall.

I know lots of folks rely on hot tape for fencing, but I would be loathe to rely on it alone. It's too easy for the fence to be shorted out, the battery to fall, a tree limb to fall on the fence .... It's great as temporary fence, or as an addition to a sturdier fence

payette 06-23-2010 04:53 PM

Half the time, I don't bother turning our electric fence on. . . All the big horses are content, and as Maura said, could be contained with a piece of string.

smrobs 06-23-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 668551)
Here's the thing about fencing - if a horse has good forage, water and companionship, you can keep them in with a piece of string. If they don't have those three things, you can't keep them in with a brick wall.

Or if you have horses like mine, who are always concerned that the grass is greener on the other side (even with a fresh bale of alfalfa in the pen with them), they will walk through any fence that isn't electric just to be loose and graze in the open lot.

I have combination fencing. In the big pasture, it is a single strand of electric wire for part of it and *gasp* barbed wire the rest of the way around. Not ideal horse fencing but it is all we have right now. I just re-did the smaller paddock in front of the barn using the electric tape. It used to be wood but Pokey got to where he would just walk through it whenever he wanted but now he'll stay in. He only had to test it twice and now it doesn't matter if it's on or not, he won't touch it.

Here is a couple of pictures of the tape fencing I use.
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1277323462

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1277323462

Alwaysbehind 06-23-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 668551)

The grass IS always greener on the other side of the fence though.

equiniphile 06-23-2010 05:15 PM

3-rail split rail with stakes on the inside where hot wire runs. Works well for us. The hot tape we used to use was a mess, it broke and the horses ran through it to get out.....
Posted via Mobile Device