The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Did I do the right thing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/did-i-do-right-thing-56986/)

justsambam08 06-10-2010 05:47 PM

Did I do the right thing?

Yesterday I was bringing horses in for dinner, it was probably about 5pm, which is a pretty normal time for me. I took the lead mare Jasmine out of the mare paddock and then went to go throw hay, which left the other two girls Isadora and Seneca by themselves. Isadora is fine by herself, but Seneca can get very buddy sour and anxious--however she is very clingy with Isadora, so I assumed that just bringing in Jasmine would not be a problem. Also, there was a gelding in the paddock right next to them--Jasmines brother Forrest.

Anyway, it took me probably ten minutes to throw hay, and I went back out to get the last three horses and found Seneca out under the hot walker (you have to go through this area to get to the turn outs) and I immediately say "what the hell?!?!" I KNOW for a fact I locked the gate to her turn out, but the gates to the turn outs were open, since there were no horses in them. She has been known to break down whole sections of fence, but all of the boards were intact. This basically means that any way you look at it she cleared 3 feet of fence line to get out. She was running around under the hot walker, and it took me a minute to realize that she'd scared herself--she had cut her front knee pretty good, and taken the skin off of the insides of both of her forearms, kind of near her chestnuts, and she was breathing hard and a little jittery.

After I grabbed her halter, I started using her lead rope to kind of herd her into one of the smallest of the turn outs so I could catch her easier. I kept her moving until she started circling around me like she was lunging, just swinging the end of the lead rope behind her when she needed it. After I told her to whoa, she stopped and immediately came into me and stood with her head kind of at my chest level like "oh my god what just happened?!??!" She let me put her halter on no problem and then she lead fine to the center aisle, where we gave her some of her dinner hay and cleaned off her wounds. She didn't mind the soap and water, but she was a little leery of the corona.

So, did I do the right thing, making her move even though she was a little shook up? How would you have handled it?

mom2pride 06-10-2010 08:54 PM

If she was that rattled and shook up you may just well have gotten run over if you had simply gone to grab her; having her move her body, and refocus her 'skittishness' onto you for guidance probably helped keep you and her safe from injury.

apachiedragon 06-11-2010 02:38 PM

I think what you did was very smart. it gave her a minute to focus on work and forget the panic. Mom2pride is right, walking right up to her might have made things worse or gotten you hurt.

farmpony84 06-11-2010 03:00 PM

It sounds like you handled it well.

barrelracer892 06-11-2010 03:10 PM

I think you did excellent. I would've done the same thing in that situation.

RiddlesDarkAngel5 06-11-2010 03:18 PM

I agree. I would have done exactly the same thing in your situation. It was a good idea to get her calmed down a bit and re-focused.

riccil0ve 06-11-2010 03:32 PM

I would have tried to catch her without running her first. Cautiously, of course. And then do exactly what you did. At least, that's what I would do with my horse, because I know she wouldn't trample me, no matter how scared she was. This mare may have thought much differently though. As long as you weren't chasing her around at a mad gallop, you were handling it all beautifully. =]