The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   very stinky manure (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/very-stinky-manure-5699/)

Ramby 01-31-2008 04:18 AM

very stinky manure

How can I say this delicately?

I have never smelled anything as horrible as the manure from our young Clyde / Thouroghbred. As manure goes, I think horse manure is the least offensive of all barnyard possibilities.
But this new young horse...the smell of a fresh pile will stop you in your tracks. Daughter (rider and poo shoveller) says she cannot stand to shovel up a fresh pile, so foul is the odour. It needs a while to air out. I have been around many horses and many horse events and stepped over many piles and never had my nose attacked quite like this!

We have only had him a couple months and I have noticed that he is a nervous pooper. The minute daughter rides out on old horse, he pitches a fit (we are not surprised by this) but develops instant nervous runny poo. Tonight when I went to check on the horses, I noticed that he had not eaten and was standing far off, which is NOT at all normal. My nose was hit with the twang of his last pile and upon investigation I found it covered with slimy mucous.

I am concerned for the smell that his poo has had since we got him and now more alarmed by his odd behaviour and slimy poo. Does anyone have any idea what is going on in that horse's gut? What can I do to correct? No, have not had vet out since it seems odd to call and say, can you come over, my horse's poo stinks. But if slime keeps up a vet will be called. Horse will be watched closely for any other changes in behaviour or signs of trouble.

kitten_Val 01-31-2008 06:50 AM

Is there any possibility he could eat something in field? I don't think it's odd to tell vet about it. That's what vets for..! :) Can you just describe him the symptoms? May be he can just give the advice on phone...

Vidaloco 01-31-2008 07:26 AM

You need to call the vet :!:

Sorry Editing: There is some stuff called Probios that I think would help the strink, but the mucus along with diarrhea is definitly something to call the vet over. could be a problem with the colin. If it develops into colitis it could be a bad deal so best to call the vet now.

Vidaloco 01-31-2008 07:44 AM

Here is a link with things to look for in colitis. Checking for dehydration etc http://www.willamettevalleyequine.com/colitis.cfm

montysmom 01-31-2008 07:47 AM

I have had alot of problems with my tb gelding and this was one of them. I called the vet, and he checked his poop, took blood, the whole nine. It ended up that my horse had the beginnings of an equine ulcer. The vet put him on probiotics, which became very expensive after a bit, so I researched. Yogurt! There is nothing closer to vet probiotics than good old fashined yogurt. Try plain yogurt for a week at a time. A small tub (single serving size) in his evening feed for a week, then take a break for a week. Do it again, and see if this makes a difference. It worked wonders for my horse. Now I just throw a yogurt in every once in awhile. Also, spend alot of time. The nervousness will disapate as the trust grows.
Good luck.