The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Riding Critique! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/riding-critique-56998/)

zjcgw 06-10-2010 08:41 PM

Riding Critique!

4 Attachment(s)
Please critique my riding :)

P.S. I am aware that my hands are flat and I need to open my hip angle (working on it :)

Salila 06-10-2010 09:00 PM

It seems in the top picture that you are a bit ahead of his motion, but then again, I am no expert in jumping. In the image of s/he and you trotting along, you are really leaning forward, but, everything is in line properly, but only technically. You should be sitting more straight up, with your back, from your tailbone to the vertebrae in your neck as perfectly vertical as you can get. Ear, shoulder, elbow, hip, and heel should be in a perfect vertical line, but your hip is far behind that line, and your elbows a little forward.

It also seems to me that you are sitting further back on your butt instead of on your seat bones. From the side, it should like like you're standing with your knees slightly bent.

On the positive, the line from your elbow to the horses mouth is practically perfect, but your hands are a little funny, as you have already noted. Your heels are nice and you are looking forward, not down, which is great.

Edit: Now that I've looked at it again, perhaps you are leaning forward because of your stirrups. They seem a little short.

AfterParty 06-11-2010 09:24 AM

The only thing I really notice is that when your horse jumps it looks as though you throw yourself into the jump . In the second photo you have your bum high and your chest right on your horse .

You are a beautiful rider I like the way you ride and your horse is gorgeous .

maura 06-11-2010 09:50 AM

Your lower leg is beautifully textbook correct. I agree with your comment about opening your hip angle over fences. This appears to be mostly a mannerism as your base of support is good, and you're only jumping ahead slightly judging by the position of your crotch in relation to the pommel of the saddle.

You do have the false crest release that George Morris talks about in every Practical Horseman column. You're clearly an advanced enough rider to move to an automatic release, which I personally think would suit you better. If you want to continue to use the crest release for showing purposes, make it a real one - drop you hands down a couple of inchs and rest your knuckles against the muscle of his neck.

In the flat photo, you're sitting with your buttocks pushed behind you and an exaggerated hollow in your lower back, which is causing you to tip forward, ahead of the motion. This is odd, because in your jumping photos you have a beautiful, flat, relaxed back. You need to work on keeping seatbones underneath you and stretching up with a flat back in your flat work.

Agree with the comment about the flat or piano hands on the flat.

Most of my comments are quibbles, or small things that will add polish and finish to your riding. You're a lovely, functional, athletic rider and you can come ride my horses for me anytime.

MyBoyPuck 06-11-2010 08:23 PM

I have no critique, but just want to know what saddle you're using? Looks like it has flaps that fit a nice long femur which I'm have a hard time trying to find.

zjcgw 06-11-2010 08:49 PM

the saddle in the bottom 3 pictures is not mine but the one in the top picture is. It is an arc de triomphe gazelle. i LOVE it!