The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Registration ??s APHA or PINTO (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/registration-s-apha-pinto-57011/)

heartprints62 06-11-2010 12:31 AM

Registration ??s APHA or PINTO

Has anyone gone about trying to cross register a horse with APHA and Pinto Assoc?? My mare is Pinto reg and the sir of my colt is APHA; I'm not sure how to go about registering the baby. Do I do one or the other or both? ANY advice on the matter would be recieved with great thanks!
God Bless!

haviris 06-11-2010 02:20 AM

If your mare is not APHA, then the colt can't be either, you'll have to register him pinto.

PaintHorseMares 06-11-2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haviris (Post 657409)
If your mare is not APHA, then the colt can't be either, you'll have to register him pinto.

Correct. For APHA, at least one parent must be APHA and the non-APHA parent must be registered TB (Jockey Club) or QH (AQHA).

heartprints62 06-11-2010 11:51 AM

Ok. Thank you both for the info!

heartprints62 06-11-2010 12:06 PM

I'm still waiting on the previous owner to "find" her papers and send them to me...... I'm starting to think I was hood-winked.....
She did show me the papers of another mare she had that she said was my mare's daughter. They were Pinto papers, but my mare was marked PAINT.

PaintHorseMares 06-11-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartprints62 (Post 657642)
The mare is a Sonny High Life (who is APHA reg) daughter, so why would she be registered pinto if the rule is that the foal is registered to whatever the mare is registered??

I'm confused....it looks to me like Sonny High Life is not a mare (from www.allbreedpedigree.com)

MacabreMikolaj 06-11-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 657648)
I'm confused....it looks to me like Sonny High Life is not a mare (from www.allbreedpedigree.com)

She said "is a Sonny High Life DAUGHTER" making Sonny High Life a probable stud :wink:

heartprints62 06-12-2010 08:29 PM

Yea I went back and looked and Sonny High Life was a stud. So I guess he was bred to a Pinto reg mare and that's where my mare came from.
Does anyone know if it is possible register my colt with APHA appendix since he does have APHA bloodline? I know I have seen blanks in bloodlines on allbreedpedigree.com before where something like this has happened. I wouldn't even worry about it except I would really like to show my baby for some of my college classes.

PaintHorseMares 06-12-2010 10:45 PM

The only two registeries in the APHA are the Regular and Solid Paint, and they both have the same parentage rules.
There are sadly a lot of people that don't bother with the paper work and it could be, however, that you mare's dam was actually elgible to be APHA registered, but never was, or a breeding report was never filed. If you wanted to go through the trouble of finding your mare's breeder, you may find out. It's a real pain (and can be expensive) to go back and correct/catch up all the paperwork, but it can be done.
With regard to allbreedpedigree.com, although it is a great site, it relies on everyone to correctly enter all the information and that is why some lines may have generations missing. It is not an official record, only the actual registery organizations have that.
We don't show, but I believe there are lots of shows that don't require registered horses. I'm sure show folks will chime in.

wyominggrandma 06-12-2010 11:26 PM

You won't be able to register her as a Paint, either both parents must be registered Paint, or one parent is a registered Paint and the other is either a registered QH (or appendix QH )or registered Thoroughbred.