The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Ugh Please Help Me! Pictures are included. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/ugh-please-help-me-pictures-included-57025/)

Gidget 06-11-2010 03:31 AM

Ugh Please Help Me! Pictures are included.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/...0c8cecb267.jpgWell many of you have seen my post and I am always wanting advice and opinions. Today I saddled my horse up and took her for a spin. She is in heat right now so she was cocking a bad attidude with me today. She is a naturally stubborn horse so she has some attidude cause she doesn't want to do anything...LAZY.
I felt really bad because I yanked at her mouth cause she was tossing me and she kept raising her head up and pulling her ears back because she wanted to stay near her friend.My husband took pictures of me riding...I'm a BEGINNER so please do not yell at me.I just need advice on ways to make sure stop because she will only do what she is told if I put spurs on and roll or tap her with them. I don't want to be yanking on her mouth but today she WOULD NOT listen and when I saw this photo I about died.
Also my saddle is a 15 inch. I was told it fit me but I was wondering what you guys thought. I have very muscular legs just to note on.

this pictures is when she was throwing a big big fit and she yanked me her way when I was trying to turn her.she totally went against the bit and and my leg cues would not work. This has been a really bad episode.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...348c19ec05.jpg

she ALWAYS pulls her ears back. I even had a vet come out and her back is healed and I bought her a theraputic ESP pad.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/...d4d7754f_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/...bc81555331.jpg

HORRIBLE posture. I don't like this one bit but thought maybe this might help...she was mad because we were leaving the horses again
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/...8b6c366b_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4031/...d02e6751_b.jpg

AND me at home in my scrub shirt! Not that anyone cares...but i liked this picture,haha.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/...0c8cecb267.jpg

So anyways, is this a common thing for many horse owners to go through? I HATE that I pulled so hard on the reins but at the time she would not listen and it was the only thing I could get her to stop freaking out on me. She is in heat so she is really grumpy so I just might not ride untill she is back to her normal self. Any help would be apperciated because this is honestly embarassing :oops::-(

Gidget 06-11-2010 03:32 AM

eh...sorry about that double take of me...

Ridehorses99 06-11-2010 01:01 PM

I have always found that the best way to make a horse forget about what they want to do and start listening what you are asking them to do is to keep their feet moving. I would flex her to one side or the other and make her walk or trot in circles. Once she starts to relax, then ask her to do what you originally set out to do. If she still insists on doing what she wants, turn her head the other way and make her trot in a circle for 10 or 15 minutes of you have to. You may have to do this every day for a week. She needs to figure out that doing the wrong thing ends up being a lot of work for her and doing the right thing (listening to you) is much easier. Keep in mind, if you have not ridden her much lately, she may be testing you again to see who is the alpha. Don't lose your temper (stop and take a big, deep breath) but just make her work and keep her feet moving if she resists. Also, don't expect top performance from her when she is in heat. That doesn't mean she gets a free pass, but some mares do not concentrate as well or perform as well when they are in cycle.

One last note.....in the first picture of you riding, you are holding the reins incorrectly. The reins go from the bit through the bottom of your hands and then out the top. You have them coming into the top of your hands and out the bottom. Holding the reins correctly will soften your hands on the bridle so you will be less likely to jerk on the reins.

AfterParty 06-11-2010 01:05 PM

I agree with the above person . Circles and sirpintines ( spelling ) alot of transitions ! My mare has her ears slightly back 95% of the time aswell , she means nothing by it though . Your mare is proobaly just listening to you oor trying to pay attention unless her ears are pinned flat back .

speedy da fish 06-11-2010 01:10 PM

maybe try a gentler bit? until you get used to the feel for mouth? just a thought. Work on her suppleness as well, if she is on heat, then she wont be working at her best so be nice to her, keep her occupied with the things people have already said and she should be fine :)

payette 06-11-2010 02:33 PM

When my daughter's pony yanks against her (which he does from time to time) what seems to work best is using only the left or the right rein, but not both at once, and getting his head around, and making him move his feet. Usually he gets tired of the fight before she does. . .

Beling 06-11-2010 02:40 PM

. . .and a hard hat for your pretty head!

Gidget 06-11-2010 04:18 PM

Thank you thank you!

I've been stressing about this all night. I know I probably hurt her mouth and I now see I was holding my reins wrong! thanks you for pointing that out. Yesterday I felt like I had to keep the reins short on her because she kept on doing her thing and I didn't want her to try something funky.I will do the circles.She HATES circles but it will teach her. I "lectured" her last night "Gidget,you have no idea how hard you are making this. If you just do what you are told life would be so much easier for you" =P It didn't work.....hhaha.
If I put her in a less harsh bit she does not respond.I tried a broken bit yesterday hoping it would work but she did not listen to anything. When I got Gidgit the man gave me a curb bit and said that is what I needed. She does the best in it but was wondering if a broken shank bit would be a good try?
She is in heat and I just wanted a light rideiii yesterday but she said heck know to that. I am going to be extra nice to her. She is probably all crampy but I will atleast do ground work with her.

oh and I will wear a helment. I always forget unless I am trying something new or on trails.....I need to wear it every time, I know.

Ridehorses99 06-11-2010 04:31 PM

When you are "schooling" her, I would definitely suggest a milder bit. My philosophy has always been that you do not gain control through a stronger bit, you gain control through training. If I can't control my horse in a snaffle, I need to do more work in the arena before I do anything else. A snaffle is the best bit to work on improving flexibility and learning to give to bit pressure.
To start her out, I would actually put an O-Ring or D-Ring snaffle bit on her, tie the reins to the saddle so her head is slightly flexed to one side but there is a little pressure on both reins, and let her walk and jog around the round pen in both directions. If she wants to fight the bit, she's going to be fighting herself. She will soon learn that be relaxing and giving to the bit, the pressure is released. Make sure to do this for both sides (flex to the right and the left). After a few sessions, ask for a little more flex. You will be amazed at how much this improves a horse's softness and give when they feel a little bit pressure. It should stop her from sticking her nose out and fighting the bit and should make it easier for her to relax and give when you ask for a turn or circle.

Gidget 06-11-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridehorses99 (Post 657878)
When you are "schooling" her, I would definitely suggest a milder bit. My philosophy has always been that you do not gain control through a stronger bit, you gain control through training. If I can't control my horse in a snaffle, I need to do more work in the arena before I do anything else. A snaffle is the best bit to work on improving flexibility and learning to give to bit pressure.
To start her out, I would actually put an O-Ring or D-Ring snaffle bit on her, tie the reins to the saddle so her head is slightly flexed to one side but there is a little pressure on both reins, and let her walk and jog around the round pen in both directions. If she wants to fight the bit, she's going to be fighting herself. She will soon learn that be relaxing and giving to the bit, the pressure is released. Make sure to do this for both sides (flex to the right and the left). After a few sessions, ask for a little more flex. You will be amazed at how much this improves a horse's softness and give when they feel a little bit pressure. It should stop her from sticking her nose out and fighting the bit and should make it easier for her to relax and give when you ask for a turn or circle.

Okay,thanks. I have an O-Ring I can use on her. I guess you are right. I will work with her in her snaffle because honestly yesterday was ridculous. I will do that. I am concerned about trying the reins to the saddle. A guy I know told me he has seen many people do this and didn't do it correctly and they fell over and killed themselves:shock:
I will go back to boring groundwork and flexing and what not. I just don't feel comfortable with the rein tying. Is there anythign else I could do?