The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Jeans or riding breeches? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/jeans-riding-breeches-57051/)

Lovehorsesandrunning 06-11-2010 12:49 PM

Jeans or riding breeches?

Do you ride in jeans or riding brecches( thats what theyre called right?). i ride in jeans and i dont find it uncomphertable at all but people always complain how uncomphertable jeans are. although ive never ridden in riding breeches because they get expensive. but what do you prefer and why?

AfterParty 06-11-2010 01:00 PM

When I am schooling at home 95% of the time I will ride in straight leg jeans so they are form fitted and not flared at the bottom so they fit under my chaps . Breeches are expensive and I do like to keep them clean for when I show , when your schooling at home your more likely to possibly have falls and they could get ruined.

I just have to be in a certain mood for breeches haha !

kmacdougall 06-11-2010 01:10 PM

I buy my schooling breeches secondhand and keep my show ones in my garment bag. If I'm wearing my field boots I wear my breeches (I wear breeches, tall boots, and a tucked in polo to lessons) but if I'm at home wearing my full breeches and paddock boots I wear jeans under because the only part of the jeans that touches the saddle is my butt :)

StormyBlues 06-11-2010 05:18 PM

SCHOOLING TIGHTS! I CAN NOT ride in jeans! They stick to your skin when you sweat and rub. They can acctually ruin your saddle if the seam rubs against it. I get schooling tights (that arn't all that expensive at all, if you buy them from the right place. I have pairs that have lasted years of wear and tear, and I have them to wrok in the barn and ride in at home and at lessons (I wear a tee and my riding tights to lessons) and I have about 3 pairs of "nice" show breeches. If you're looking for a really inexpensive alternative, go to walmart and buy some leggings that you would wear under a skirt in winter, it's basically the same thing without the seaming and knee patches!

horsequeen373 06-11-2010 07:17 PM

Breeches :) the seam of jeans drives me crazy when I ride

BackInTheSaddleAgain 06-11-2010 07:20 PM

Sometimes I wish I rode English just for the breeches. Even mounting and dismounting on a hot day is not happening in jeans. :P

upnover 06-11-2010 07:49 PM

BREECHES. Once i switched to breeches, I never went back to jeans. in comparision they're stiff, uncomfortable, have a seam in the wrong place, and as StormyBlues mentioned can damage your saddle. Plus, I felt like riding in my jeans wore them out too. If you look around you can find breeches cheaper then jeans.

Delfina 06-11-2010 07:59 PM

Riding tights and a t-shirt.

I tried jeans.... Dressage and jeans do not work, ended up with giant bruises on my legs. The tights are comfortable, cool when it's blistering hot out, easy to wash and inexpensive.

You can get breeches cheaply if you hunt around. I have a pair of new full seat breeches coming that I paid $20 for.

MyBoyPuck 06-11-2010 09:39 PM

Jeans...ouch. I always ride in breeches.

kitten_Val 06-11-2010 10:40 PM

I don't ride in jeans at all. They rub my legs (I have very sensitive skin unfortunately). So either breeches or old soft pants.