The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   URGENT HELP (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/urgent-help-5708/)

Mathew 01-31-2008 05:38 PM

URGENT HELP

Hi there,
i know this has nothing to do with this i just thought it would be most seen her... Does anyone know if its ok to use a pelham without the ccurb chain thanks alot...

JustDressageIt 01-31-2008 08:42 PM

I can't see why it wouldn't be okay to ride without the curb chain, but I don't see the point in doing that. If you're in a mullen mouth pelham without the chain, you may as well be using a straight bar snaffle. It's the curb chain along with the curb rein that adds "uumph" to the bit. The chain adds crackerjack action on the jaw when the curb rein is applied, which gives the pelham the control. If you just ride on the top rein, you are essentially using a snaffle... so without the curb rein or chain, you just have a snaffle.

quixotesoxs 01-31-2008 09:05 PM

just dressage it is right. You will have no leverage if you ride without one. Why would you want to use a pelham without a chain? Just curious what you situation is.

Kyani 01-31-2008 10:18 PM

The leverage doesn't come from the chain, it comes from the shanks, so with the curb rein attached, you still have some leverage from the bit but not the pressure from the curb chain. I used to ride a cob in a mullen mouth pelham without curb chain (he's in a single-jointed snaffle now) because he didn't like or need the chain, just a tad of extra leverage when he got strong. When we were getting him back in a snaffle we tried a mullen mouth first - NO brakes at ALL. He didn't take the blindest bit of notice. So a mullen mouth pelham sans chain is NOT the same as a mullen mouth snaffle.

Pelhams should be straight bars (or with low ports) anyway. Maybe with certain links in, but never a two-piece mouth. Leverage + nutcracker actions equals a very harsh bit, and no horse really needs that.

Delregans Way 01-31-2008 10:34 PM

Is this what you mean mathew?
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/2082_pelham_1.jpg

If so, yes you can use the bit without a chain... The Bit will still be used as a "levage" bit. As you have two reins, the top rein is used as a normal snaffle would, and the bottom rein would be used as a levage. The curb chain, is just a addition... Hope that helps :D

Mathew 01-31-2008 10:39 PM

Yes delregans way that is exactly what i meant i will still be using the 2 reins with it just not the actual chain that slips onto the hooks on each sid. If anyone else knows anything now that you know exactly what i mean please answer so i know for sure...i dont want to go hurting my horse or anything.

JustDressageIt 01-31-2008 11:01 PM

No you won't be hurting the horse. A pelham with a chain is more severe than a pelham without.

I would strongly suggest against a broken pelham though..

Delregans Way 02-01-2008 04:36 AM

:D Glad i was some help :) Yeh i agree, i would to strongly suggest using a broken pelham too. Straight bars, are very servere! :?

Kyani 02-10-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delregans Way
:D Glad i was some help :) Yeh i agree, i would to strongly suggest using a broken pelham too. Straight bars, are very servere! :?

Straight bar pelhams are LESS severe than broken ones. Mullen mouths are best. If you do need to go for a broken mouthpeice, make sure it has more than one joint - such as a french link - and not the 'nutcracker' action of a single joint. Single joint + shanks = VERY severe.