The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (
-   -   To all you who rope.... (

smrobs 06-11-2010 08:00 PM

To all you who rope....
How do you dally and what kind of wrap do you use on your horn?

I grew up in a team roping family so I have always had the rubber innertube wraps on my horn; however, I know people who really prefer the mule-hide wraps. I guess the whole 'how do you dally' thing really is just an obvious answer depending on what kind of horn wrap you use. I can usually take 1 wrap with pretty much anything under 500 lbs but I need 2 with something heavier. For a big momma cow, I will usually take 3. I understand that you have to take many more wraps with the mulehide to keep it from slipping, correct?

nrhareiner 06-15-2010 12:10 AM

I normally use rubber horse wraps. They are easier to put on and use and around here easier to find.

As for the daily. I typically dally down. I find you are less likely to get your pinky caught that way and normally 2 wraps.

SorrelHorse 06-16-2010 10:23 PM

Agreed with nrhareiner. That's pretty much what I do too. I don't do any competitive roping anymore, but I still take the ol' girl Pretzel out every now and then and practice on the fake cow or a post or somethin' ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

IndianGirl 06-19-2010 11:03 AM

I use rubber intertube wraps or the precut rubber wraps.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0