The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse pees a flood making stall mushy. HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-pees-flood-making-stall-mushy-57136/)

myhorsesonador 06-12-2010 06:01 PM

Horse pees a flood making stall mushy. HELP!

Mods I didnt know where to put this so if its in the wrong place feel free to move it.

I recently moved Sona to a new barn, and all the stalls are clay floor. That doesnt bother me but the only problem is Sona is a good drinker so of course shes a good pee'er as well. She has tured her stall in to a mushy slop. SO today I bought some sweet PDZ and covered the stall and put a thick layer of shavings on top of that. Mats are not a option right now because we cant afored them. Is there any thing else I can do? I cant leave her out side because she burns. I'm open to any thing other than that. I cant leave her out side because she burns. I know if can not be healthy for her to be standing in pee all day.

myhorsesonador 06-12-2010 06:36 PM

Bump!!

Brighteyes 06-12-2010 06:44 PM

That's my biggest problem with clay floors... No drainage... I suppose the only thing you can do it put in a few inches of straw or shavings. I actually prefer straw for these types of situations. Where I am, it's cheaper and I can put a deeper layer for less cost, so my horse won't be standing in wet mud or shavings while waiting for the clay to drain.

myhorsesonador 06-12-2010 07:27 PM

Well this barn has a "sub" floor for drainige. but it still takes for ever. what if I pit straw under the shavings? that might help?

justsambam08 06-12-2010 07:29 PM

Also you can try sprinkling a layer of Stall Fresh around. It soaks up the pee pretty good. Here in FL where its so frickin humid all of the time, the pee spots sometimes don't dry out as well as they need to, which also might be part of your problem. Stall Fresh takes care of that!

draftrider 06-12-2010 10:10 PM

Clean it down really good, and put about 6-8 inches of clean sand down.

Brighteyes 06-12-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 658658)
Well this barn has a "sub" floor for drainige. but it still takes for ever. what if I pit straw under the shavings? that might help?

Sounds like a good plan to me. :D

myhorsesonador 06-12-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftrider (Post 658758)
Clean it down really good, and put about 6-8 inches of clean sand down.

If I spend that kind of money on sand then I might as well buy mats.

Deerly 06-13-2010 01:10 AM

You can use cedar rest or dry stall under the shavings to try to keep things from turning into a swamp. The dirt in my guy's stall is really clay-like and gross I absolutely hate it!

draftrider 06-14-2010 04:02 AM

mats would just float around on the muck.

If you get sand in there, it will drain. You don't really even need bedding with a sand bedded stall.

I can buy enough sand for 8 inches thick for a 12x12 stall for around 30$ here. Is sand hard to find in your area?