The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   I did what I thought I'd NEVER do... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/i-did-what-i-thought-id-57145/)

CloudsMystique 06-12-2010 06:56 PM

I did what I thought I'd NEVER do...
 
I cut Mystique's tail :shock:



Here's how it looked when I first got her:
(I'm going to post links so you can zoom in on her tail)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3580/...8081c384_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3406/...2b1816e8_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/...024b80d0_o.jpg


And with years of much more turnout, more brushing, and too-tight tail bags it turned into this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2614/...74b5f1ca_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3658/...1d345877_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/...c7cc6372_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/...6f8cf25f_o.jpg


You can see a definite change here between 3.5 and 4.5:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2652/...6bca8bf5_o.jpg





Basically, the bottom half thinned out and the top half stayed thick. So... I cut off the bottom half and I'm going to be super careful to make sure it grows out thick. It looks like it's going to be even thicker than it was when she was 3.

Here it is now:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/...20fa1d18_b.jpg

She looks so weird with a short tail, haha. It's been to her fetlocks since the first day I saw her.



I'm going to be putting MTG on it and updating weekly so I can have some B&A pictures. I'm going to do the same with my gelding, whose tail was chewed off by Mystique, haha. Here he is: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4022/...0d4ecd88_b.jpg

horseluver2435 06-12-2010 07:46 PM

Aww! They look so adorably funny! :) I can't wait to see how they both will turn out!

churumbeque 06-12-2010 07:54 PM

I would rather have a thin tail to swish flies than no tail :(

CloudsMystique 06-12-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churumbeque (Post 658700)
I would rather have a thin tail to swish flies than no tail :(

Yeah, it's so hard wearing a fly sheet and a fly mask, being fly sprayed multiple times a day, spending the day in a stall with a fan, and spending the night outside when the bugs are gone...

kevinshorses 06-12-2010 08:04 PM

It is natural for a tail to thin toward the end. I think it looks better than an artificially thick tail that goes all the way to the ground.

Brighteyes 06-12-2010 08:05 PM

So CUTE! :D I actually like it better short then long.

CloudsMystique 06-12-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 658706)
It is natural for a tail to thin toward the end. I think it looks better than an artificially thick tail that goes all the way to the ground.

How exactly is a thin tail natural and a thick tail artificial? If you read what I said, it grew that way until I started messing with it too much...



Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 658707)
So CUTE! :D I actually like it better short then long.

Thanks :D

dreamrideredc 06-12-2010 08:13 PM

Aww I think ther're ADORABLE! I honestly think your horses are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen, they have the most unique coloring, and I love Mystique's eyes. I wish I had time to post a pic of my guy, he looks exactly like a gelding version of her! =]

CloudsMystique 06-12-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamrideredc (Post 658717)
Aww I think ther're ADORABLE! I honestly think your horses are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen, they have the most unique coloring, and I love Mystique's eyes. I wish I had time to post a pic of my guy, he looks exactly like a gelding version of her! =]

Thanks for the compliment, and I'd love to see your gelding! : ]

churumbeque 06-12-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudsMystique (Post 658709)
How exactly is a thin tail natural and a thick tail artificial? If you read what I said, it grew that way until I started messing with it too much...





Thanks :D

All of my horses tails are thicker in the middle and get thinner at the end and I don't mess with them.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0