The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Correct Position (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/correct-position-57148/)

eventerwannabe 06-12-2010 08:59 PM

Correct Position

Sorry if someone had posted something about this recently, but I was wondering about it today.

So here is what I want... Pictures (and/or video) showing the correct position and I want it broken down. If someone could explain HOW to get a correct position that would be fabulous, but if not, that is fine. I just want a good explanation of WHY it is correct (effective) and HOW it is correct.

Thanks!

AngelWithoutWings54 07-02-2010 05:36 AM

Have you read Centered Riding? They explain it very nicely with lots of examples and pictures. I suggest reading the whole book, actually. It's pretty good.

White Foot 07-02-2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelWithoutWings54 (Post 678051)
Have you read Centered Riding? They explain it very nicely with lots of examples and pictures. I suggest reading the whole book, actually. It's pretty good.

I actually just bought that book last night.

MyBoyPuck 07-05-2010 07:00 PM

If you find yourself in a book store, pick up "Ride with your mind clinic" and find a comfy chair. It has a unique way of describing the correct dressage seat and has 4 separate chapters for the most common position problems. I found it really interesting, and it's one of those books that you can run to the barn and try to put to immediate use.

eventerwannabe 07-05-2010 07:03 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will look into some books for sure. :)

payette 07-05-2010 07:12 PM

I'll third "Centered Riding"!!

leonalee 07-16-2010 03:18 PM

One thing a recent equine professional explained to our group was the importance of a NEUTRAL PELVIS. Sit on your saddle and tip your hips forward, backward, forward, backward and then settle into the middle. From there, sit up tall and do your best to align ears/shoulders/hips/heels. I think it may be a centered riding-kind of explanation?

eventerwannabe 07-16-2010 03:27 PM

Thanks leonalee. I will try that when I ride dressage next (might be today, though I feel like I need a good gallop, so maybe not).

spirithorse8 07-16-2010 06:40 PM

neutral pelvis

1 Attachment(s)
I recently came upon an article about the neutral pelvis when using chairs. It also showed it applied to riding horses.