The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   2 Horses I rescued yesterday from slaughter (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/2-horses-i-rescued-yesterday-slaughter-57210/)

AlternativeEquineTraining 06-13-2010 08:10 PM

2 Horses I rescued yesterday from slaughter

5 Attachment(s)
These horses were on their way to shipsi and port huron where they would be sent over the boarder to slaughter :( BluJeans is a 5 yr old roan and Rollo is a 22 yr old chestnut.

justsambam08 06-13-2010 08:24 PM

Blujeans doesn't look too bad off. Could definitely use some weight, and may not grow as tall as she (she?) should, but she still looks alright. Easy enough to put groceries on.

Rollo also looks like with some groceries and a feet trim he'll be ok.

What are your plans for them?

MissH 06-13-2010 08:31 PM

Super cute little roan! Bless your heart!

Deerly 06-14-2010 12:46 AM

Awww I love Blue Jeans! What a great name! Lucky horses :)

trailhorserider 06-14-2010 12:48 AM

Look at those faces! It's hard to believe anyone could do that to them. :evil:

A personal pet peeve of mine is people dumping their old horses. The horse gives it's whole life to the service of humans only to be dumped at an auction and end up at slaughter. That is just heartless! People should be more loyal than that.

I'm so glad you rescued them! :D

Hunter65 06-14-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailhorserider (Post 659618)
Look at those faces! It's hard to believe anyone could do that to them. :evil:

A personal pet peeve of mine is people dumping their old horses. The horse gives it's whole life to the service of humans only to be dumped at an auction and end up at slaughter. That is just heartless! People should be more loyal than that.

I'm so glad you rescued them! :D

I soo agree with you on the older horse thing. My BO has a horse that is 35 years old, she is amazing. Another horse there is 28. They get such great care in their old age. I love being where Hunter is, he is the youngest at almost 3, the next closest is 13 lol

Hunter65 06-14-2010 12:57 AM

Kudos to you I love them both. Wish I had room to take in more, I know where some are that need attention

claire_rosco 06-14-2010 01:01 AM

Good on you.
I think its great you've rescued them.
The roan is gorgeous, and I reckon with a bit of TLC they'll both be looking a lot healthier and happier in no time!

draftrider 06-14-2010 03:58 AM

Good for you! I don't care what anyone says- slaughter is not euthanasia- and our old friends deserve better than that.

kitten_Val 06-14-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailhorserider (Post 659618)
A personal pet peeve of mine is people dumping their old horses.

What drives me even more crazy when those old lesson horses got dumped. I've seen once at the local auction (I don't go there often as seeing all these horses breaks my heart every time): "Lesson horse with tons of experience with little kids. Due to the health issues can't do lessons anymore. Sold as is". What a BS! :twisted:

To OP, your horses don't look bad at all, especially the 1st one. Good luck with them!