The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Do You Remember? Posting Trot (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/do-you-remember-posting-trot-57221/)

Dartanion 06-13-2010 08:46 PM

Do You Remember? Posting Trot

Do you remember how your trainer taught you to post the trot? i vaugly(sp) remember being on a lung line (age 5 or 6) and they had me grab onto the pommel of the saddle to help me post up and then after a while they wouldn't let me grab on anymore... I don't really remember how I was taught my diagonals lol. Does anyone remember how they were taught? was it difficult for you at first? I remember doing a lot of trotting trasitions lol.

RadHenry09 06-13-2010 08:58 PM

Well, my 10 yr old daughter is going through this. She knows how to post, and knows/understands diagonals. She doesnt always pick up the correct one and her instructor tells her simply "change your diagonal" so she sits 2 beats and picks it up again. It seems to me the more she thinks about it the more she misses it...lol

Her instructor put her on the lunge line several times and would say 1,2,1,2 or up/down

Also: double posting seems to have helped her with the up/down movement and using the right muscle memory.

We also watched a video on youtube about diagnols for her to see the difference and I also video taped her trotting so she could see herself as she rode.

She gets it about 90 percent of the time now, she is still working on perfecting it. She used to ride in a western saddle ,now she says it is hard for her to sit the trot after learning to post.

BarrelracingArabian 06-13-2010 09:06 PM

i taught myself how to post because we didnt have money for lessons and i just rode for fun so i taught myself on my mustang gelding that my aunt gave me for my 7th birthday...it just kinda came natural sicne it was more comfortable then bouncing xD... but i had my trainers help for diagnols.

Erin_And_Jasper 06-13-2010 09:09 PM

i didnt learn my diagonals till i was 12. i took "lessons" for like 2 years. the taught me up down up down then push you hips forward when the outside leg goes forward. so it was down, up and push hips forward, down, up and push hips forward

ThatNinjaHorse 06-13-2010 09:31 PM

Yeah i dont really remember either, i didnt have lessons much so i think i just figured it out by myself. I think my mum taught me diagonals in one of the few lessons i had (she used to teach occasionally (VERY occasionally lol) at a local riding school, and would take me along for the lesson) other than that she left me to my own devices when it came to riding.

roro 06-13-2010 10:17 PM

This is what I remember:

UP! DOWN! UP! THE OTHER UP! DOWN! UP! DOWN! WRONG! UP! and so forth.

RadHenry09 06-13-2010 10:19 PM

^ I am sure that is what my daughter is hearing too. lol : )

FoxyRoxy1507 06-14-2010 11:27 AM

i remember the up down up down thing till i got with a real good trainer and had to relearn its forward and back not up and down! lol thrust those hips forward

mls 06-14-2010 12:03 PM

"Rise and fall with the leg on the wall."

Delfina 06-14-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roro (Post 659540)
This is what I remember:

UP! DOWN! UP! THE OTHER UP! DOWN! UP! DOWN! WRONG! UP! and so forth.

Same here! :lol:

I was taking Western lessons then... was quite odd to learn in a Western saddle!

I still struggle with diagonals and hear "sit for two and switch, you're on the wrong diagonal" a lot.