The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   bridles and boots (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/bridles-boots-57237/)

ilovemyhorsies 06-14-2010 12:36 AM

bridles and boots

what are your views on using a pelham in hacking shows? IF and ONLY if the rider knows how to use it, so as to not hurt the horse unnecessarily?

and what bridle and bit do you think are best for XC when you need a little more control than your eggbutt snaffle?

are bridles with grackle nosebands better for SJ and XC than a hanoverian?

also, best boots to use for XC?

i already have:
fleece lined open fronts (full)
fleece lined fetlock boots (full)
velcro fastening bell boots (full)

but i know that the open fronts don't offer enough protection for XC.. /:

sports medicine boots? are they the best way to go for XC protection?

sorry for all the questions. i just like to be certain :lol:

Strange 06-14-2010 12:57 AM

Try a full cheek for cross country if you need a little more control. I rode an Oldenburg that rode beautifully in a loose ring for dressage but you couldn't jump him in it, so I worked him over fences (both stadium and xc) in a full cheek with a flash and he rode wonderfully.

I'd suggest some plain old splint boots for cross country or a pair of Woof brushing boots.

ilovemyhorsies 06-14-2010 02:05 AM

i've never heard of that brand over here, but roma would be the same i assume?

i'm looking at photos of my horse being ridden by her owner, and for jumping both SJ and XC she has a grackle noseband with what looks like a simple snaffle bit, loose ring i think but can't be definite.

boots wise, its hard to tell! she has different boots on in pretty much every picture haha.

ThatNinjaHorse 06-14-2010 02:19 AM

Quote:

what are your views on using a pelham in hacking shows? IF and ONLY if the rider knows how to use it, so as to not hurt the horse unnecessarily?
Its the fashion. In my view, theres nothing in hacking that a rider should need a double/pelham etc for. Though, many use it for the look it gives, expecially in turnout classes etc, and I dont mind that. If your hacking at a decent level you can ride decent enough to be able to use it correctly.
I dont however agree with those that use these bits to get their horse 'on the bit' and i see many judges these days awarding riders whose horse is incorrectly bent because of this.

FoxyRoxy1507 06-14-2010 11:20 AM

i use a pelham for hacking and jumping but im an experienced rider and ive tried other bit options and that is the only one that my horse likes but he's always going on the bit correctly not bent by using the bit

StormyBlues 06-14-2010 01:15 PM

I don't have any input to hacking because it's not my thing, but I do event so....

My eventer goes perfect in a french link loose ring, but at the upper levels, he went in a 3 ring elevator for just a bit more umph. I'd talk to your coach and see what they think. Some people ride in flashes, and some in figure eights, so again, I'd see what your coach thinks.

For XC boots WOOF BOOTS! They're sold all around the world and seriously some of the best boots out there! They hold up to ALOT of wear and tear, and they protect great AND they arn't that expensive!