The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Color question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/color-question-57245/)

draftrider 06-14-2010 04:43 AM

Color question

Maddie I assumed was just a plain old bay.

When I got her in December, she was quite wooly, but she had black lower legs, red body, black mane and tail. Bay, right?

I had a friend over who hadn't seen her yet. She said she's not a bay, because she has a dorsal stripe and leg barring. Her mane and tail are still black, but now her legs are lightened up to a chocolate brown color.

I also found she is getting in little white spots on her butt- they look like birdcatcher spots in a way. Her vulva is very polkadotted now, as is her udder area, nose, around her eyes etc.

I know she has some Appy in her, and some Clyde, but no idea what else.

So what do you think her true color could be?

CheyAut 06-14-2010 06:55 AM

Pics? Too hard to make a guess without them ;)

draftrider 06-14-2010 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will try to take better pics to show her legs and dorsal stripe. =) Otherwise here is her pretty face. (just because I love this picture!!)

Jacksmama 06-14-2010 01:11 PM

If she truly has leg barring, and a dorsal stripe(not just countershading which happens with bays occasionally. A true dorsal stripe is very distinct with no blurred edges.) its very possible shes dun.What color is the dorsal stripe? Is it black or just a darker bay color?

draftrider 06-14-2010 05:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Her dorsal stripe is black. Ok I put a bunch of pics. Here is her crescent moon star, and her stripe.

draftrider 06-14-2010 06:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more

TheLastUnicorn 06-14-2010 06:57 PM

She looks bay to me... I don't see zebra stripes.

Some bays do get a false stripe.

Her white specks might be caused by the appy gene though!

AztecBaby 06-14-2010 07:08 PM

Looks like a plain 'ole bay to me.

apachiedragon 06-14-2010 08:10 PM

this page may help you decide
DUN FACTOR MARKINGS on grullo, dun, dunskin, red dun; stripes, leg bars, etc.

Eastowest 06-15-2010 12:18 AM

Basedf on the striped hoof on a dark leg, the white sclera, mottling, white specks and white hairs on her butt, I would say she has appaloosa coloring coming in-- the LP gene at work.

She still looks bay to me-- The presence of LP seems to mess with black points on bays and other normally black-pointed horses sometimes, making them chocolatey or mushroomy-hued rather than jet black.

Do you know anything about her sire's and dam's colors?