The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Sport Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/)
-   -   Hanoverians vs. Oldenburgs? (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/hanoverians-vs-oldenburgs-57318/)

danastark 06-15-2010 02:09 AM

Hanoverians vs. Oldenburgs?
 
What is the difference between a Hanoverian and an Oldenburg? The reason I ask is my filly's sire is Devon Heir, a Hanoverian. Some of his progeny, foals are advertised as Oldenburgs? I don't get it? Can someone explain this to me? Thanks!

Spyder 06-15-2010 10:04 AM

If the mare of the Hanoverian foals is Hanoverian they can register them in that registry and the mare owner may prefer that registry. I believe it is the hardest registry to get approval from..

Also many stallion are approved in more than 1 registry.

Cat 06-15-2010 10:17 AM

Does that mean a lot of the Warmbloods share similar, if not the same, bloodlines at times? Are there any special differences that may allow a horse into one of those registries but not the other?

Spyder 06-15-2010 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat (Post 660865)
Does that mean a lot of the Warmbloods share similar, if not the same, bloodlines at times? Are there any special differences that may allow a horse into one of those registries but not the other?


Hanoverian bloodlines run through virtually all other WB registries. Trakhner bloodlines also are prominent in many WB registries.

danastark 06-15-2010 10:59 AM

Okay, so I'm still confused...... so if both the mare and sire are Hanoverian, the foal can be inspected and registered as an Oldenburg?

Also, my filly is Hanoverian/TB. What would she be eligible to be registered as?

Thanks!

Spyder 06-15-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danastark (Post 660926)
Okay, so I'm still confused...... so if both the mare and sire are Hanoverian, the foal can be inspected and registered as an Oldenburg?

Also, my filly is Hanoverian/TB. What would she be eligible to be registered as?

Thanks!

Yes foals from a registered Hannovarian parents can end up in a different registry. It isn't the registry that guides the placement of the foal but the APPROVAL of the parents.

In other words a registered Hannovarian sire and Oldenburg dam with approval in the say Westphalia registry can have the foal end up in that registry. But the parents would have to have been approved in that registry.


As far as your filly, it all depends on where it was born ( imported?) and exactly what the parents are registered and approved for. So I cannot answer your question without that information.

danastark 06-16-2010 01:20 PM

Okay, her sire is Devon Heir, registered Hanoverian stallion, guess he won the 2004 100 day test, pretty amazing looking guy. Her dam is just a registered TB as far as I know. My friend bred/raised Jewel, decided she doesn't know enough to train her, doesn't want to sell her and just offered her to me for free!

I was looking up her siblings and got confused, wondering why some were listed as Oldenburgs, when Devon Heir is a Hanoverian.

Spyder 06-16-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danastark (Post 662096)
Okay, her sire is Devon Heir, registered Hanoverian stallion, guess he won the 2004 100 day test, pretty amazing looking guy. Her dam is just a registered TB as far as I know. My friend bred/raised Jewel, decided she doesn't know enough to train her, doesn't want to sell her and just offered her to me for free!

I was looking up her siblings and got confused, wondering why some were listed as Oldenburgs, when Devon Heir is a Hanoverian.


If you look up Devon heir he is approved --: Hanoverian Verband, American Hanoverian Society, ISR/Oldenburg North America.

This explains why most are Oldenburg.

It is very very hard to get approval in the Hanoverian registry and the ISR is very much easier.

Now as far as your filly the problem is the dam of your horse which I ASSUME was never approved in any WB registry and while a REGISTERED TB ( with JC papers) can go and be inspected it probably was not done.

So that leaves your filly with less options. You can go to the ISR and if approved will probably go in the lowest mare book and you will have to breed up.

You can also go to the AWR/AWS and RPSI

The situation you are in is so typical and shows the reason why NA will never have a WB unique to us.

danastark 06-17-2010 01:31 AM

Okay, I think I get it now. I'm not really interested in getting Jewel inspected or using her as a broodmare. Why do the owners of nice horses like Devon Heir allow breeding to mares who aren't inspected? Hopefully she'll end up a really good sporthorse for my daughter in years to come. Thanks for clarifying why the others were called Oldenburgs!

Spyder 06-17-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danastark (Post 662918)
Okay, I think I get it now. I'm not really interested in getting Jewel inspected or using her as a broodmare. Why do the owners of nice horses like Devon Heir allow breeding to mares who aren't inspected? Hopefully she'll end up a really good sporthorse for my daughter in years to come. Thanks for clarifying why the others were called Oldenburgs!

The problem is that while you may not feel you wish to use her as a broodmare,papers and registration gives you so much more in benefits than just papers for future foal status and it is this that so many people don't think about and lose out.

As far as why the stallion allowed the breeding in the first place, probably to see what he can produce as he is relatively new here and maybe in the hopes that the mare owner would get the mare approved. Maybe the mare is a very nice mare that could have gotten a high score if inspected and you can get both foal and mare inspected at the same time so maybe that was promised by the mare owner...who knows.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0