The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Goat people help me! (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/goat-people-help-me-57347/)

paintluver 06-15-2010 04:44 PM

Goat people help me!

I might be getting a goat this summer to eat the weeds in my pasture, and be a bud for my mare when I am showing Romeo.
My grandpa told me that the females are the kindest, and males are stinky, but what if I got a "Nuetered" male?
Are there any good breeds I should look for? I would perfer goats without horns.
And if you would like to help me look, PM me!

Erin_And_Jasper 06-15-2010 04:54 PM

i love Nubian. i had a wethered Nubian and he wasn't stinky or mean. he just liked to be carried every where.

Speed Racer 06-15-2010 04:56 PM

Yep, a Nubian wether is your best bet. I adore Nubians, especially the mini ones.

But goats are stinky, regardless. It's just that the neutered males tend to be less stinky than the intact animals.

If you're used to livestock, goat stench shouldn't bother you. :-P

Indyhorse 06-15-2010 05:57 PM

DEFINITELY get a whether - primarily because there is a lack of uses for them. Bucks have value for breeding, does have value for breeding/milk, whethers, if they can't find good pet homes, tend to only have good value for slaughter. Getting a whether for what you need would be a good thing to do.

From a personal standpoint, I'm not a fan of Nubians. They are far and away the biggest, bossiest, and most vocal of the dairy breeds. I prefer LaManchas (my personal favorite) or the Swiss breeds (Saanens, Alpines, Toggenbergs or Oberhauslis).

Bucks are disgusting. They have such a horrible stink during breeding season due to their "buck cologne" - a very pheramone-heavy urine they spray on every surface of their pen, and on their billy beards, which they then wipe all over themselves, and on you if they get the chance. It makes a gross, oily smell in the air that you can NOT get out of your nose, even long after you've gone inside and washed. The smell even taints the taste of doe's milk - most people who have tried it and not liked it, have tried commercially raised goats milk, which is ALWAYS tainted with buck flavor due to the commercially financial decision making it necessary to keep a buck on the farm.

I never kept a buck on my farm and sent my does away to be bred, and none of my does or pet whethers EVER had any buck smell - and people could not distinguish between my goats milk and standard cows milk, other tham my goats milk was much cremier.

paintluver 06-15-2010 06:25 PM

Hmm, maybe I will look for a wether then.

haviris 06-15-2010 11:44 PM

I would suggest a wether, and if you're not getting a bottle kid, or one that has been raised solo then I'd suggest getting two.

Goats don't generally stink, only bucks. Nubians are good, in my experience they seem to like horses better. You'll want one that is polled or has been disbudded. I raised Nigerian Dwarf goats and disbud all mine as babies. Most dairy breeds will be disbudded.

To bad you're not closer, I currently have the sweetest, most adorable little nigi wether avaliable, and soon may have some mini alpines avaliable.

speedy da fish 06-16-2010 11:41 AM

ok most goats have horns... but most goats are de-budded at birth (you can look that up) so they don't have horns. a nanny (female) goat would be best as they have lovely nature although they will be loud when they come into season. most of our goats lived to about 12-13 but unfortunately, they all died of cancer.

They were all saanen goats, which are bigger that most goat breeds and white, i recommend them because the high difference isn't too big compared to a horse (a lot of goat breeds are small) so they will be able to deal with horseplay.
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/g...anen/saan1.jpg

Maci 09-09-2010 12:13 PM

Boer i would say are the best they are great companions and aren't as noisy as your dairy breeds. They are also less maintenance. You could also show them in goat shows.

KANSAS_TWISTER 09-09-2010 04:18 PM

i think so...we just got one 2 days ago to keep our calf company

karebear41486 09-12-2010 04:45 PM

Hey there! Where in MN are you?? I'm in MN as well, and got 3 Nubian wethers this summer. They are the nicest little guys ever! They are pretty noisy if they know you are around and not giving them attention, or when they get separated from each other, but I don't mind that. :)