The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   TWH Percheron X (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/twh-percheron-x-57354/)

xdrybonesxvalleyx 06-15-2010 06:26 PM

TWH Percheron X

I was scanning through the ads today and ran across a Tennessee Walking Horse and Percheron cross. Could anyone tell me about those crosses, what they're used for, good for, etc? She really caught my attention and I was considering going out to look at her.

Cat 06-15-2010 06:28 PM

First time I've ever heard of that cross. Makes me wonder if it is a case of someone having bad fences and an "oops" breeding.

Any pics?

equiniphile 06-15-2010 06:28 PM

In my personal experience, any breed crossed with a TWH is a recipe for disaster. TWHs are great on their own, but when crossed with another horse (especially non gaited) they never turn out too good. IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

xdrybonesxvalleyx 06-15-2010 06:40 PM

I was wondering how that would work out. I have no experience riding gaited horses, and wondered what a gaitedxnongaited would result in.

xdrybonesxvalleyx 06-15-2010 06:42 PM

Big sweet grey horse for sale

That's the original advertisement with pictures. She really caught my eye.

Indyhorse 06-15-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 661313)
In my personal experience, any breed crossed with a TWH is a recipe for disaster. TWHs are great on their own, but when crossed with another horse (especially non gaited) they never turn out too good. IMO
Posted via Mobile Device

I can second this!

Worst horse I ever had was a Walker/Friesian cross mare. Gorgeous to look at, and she was one of the few crosses that WAS gaited (though she seemed to pace more than anything) but she was far and away the hottest horse I ever rode, and she had a really bad temperament (yes I know, not generally from genetics, just giving my experience!)

ETA the mare is pretty enough in the ad, but it says nothing on there about any saddle training at all? It just says "stands well for triming, shoes, shot, worming, grooming ect. Has been around kids load nosies dont bother her"

Maybe I'm mean but I would be hard pressed to buy a horse from someone who spells more words wrong than right.

payette 06-15-2010 06:56 PM

I also wondered if she is saddle trained. She's pretty. I'd go look at her. Never heard of that cross before.

xdrybonesxvalleyx 06-15-2010 06:59 PM

My trainer doesn't have exactly the tallest or prettiest horses out there. I love them still, but I love them more on the inside than on the outside, and the one I ride is a rescue horse who is still thin and still losing a bit of shed, and has lots and lots of greying. So when I see something like that it just--I've been looking through these ads for months and this is the first horse that just made me go WOW.

I hope she is, but before I make a trip with my trainer I'm going to ask what she's been trained in, etc. Although she's a beauty, I'm not interested in breaking horses anytime soon.

franknbeans 06-15-2010 09:07 PM

I sure hope you all are wrong! I just bought a TWH/QH in April-non gaited. Love him! My trainer loves him. Totally sensible, very sweet and nice trot and canter (lope). Very amenable to trying anything to please. And great on the trails! So far....so good.......:)

Cat 06-15-2010 09:15 PM

My husbands draft cross is believed to be either TWH or spotted saddle for the other half. He was a nursemare orphan foal from a rescue which is why they had the strange cross - draft mom's for more milk and all the stallions they had around were gaited. He is a very good horse personality-wise and does very well under saddle. However, he has a very jarring trot. Its beautiful to watch - horrid to ride.