The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Maybe gettin' new horse! Help me decide! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/maybe-gettin-new-horse-help-me-57367/)

trailsntails 06-15-2010 08:31 PM

Maybe gettin' new horse! Help me decide!

Hey all! I may be getting a new horse and I need help deciding the breed! I want an easy-to-train horse and one that won't cost much money, because I'm going to buy a foal and raise it myself (atleast that's what I want to do). I really like color and I'm thinking a Paint, but do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!:D

equiniphile 06-15-2010 08:36 PM

Quarter horse or Paint. Do you have experience training or someone experienced to help you?
Posted via Mobile Device

trailsntails 06-15-2010 08:50 PM

Ya, the owner of the boarding place trains horses. Also my dad is pretty experienced.

kmdstar 06-20-2010 12:35 AM

I really don't like to shop for horses based on breed (clearly, that would be why I own a standardbred/quarter horse :lol:) because you could miss an amazing horse of another breed (or crossbreed) by doing that!

Also, I don't think of ANY horse as 'easy to train', if you want that then maybe you should get an already trained horse which I would suggest anyway.

BUT for a nice laid back horse I would think Quarter Horse.

corabee 06-30-2010 12:16 AM

sorry paint

Alwaysbehind 06-30-2010 09:41 AM

Do not get a baby and expect it to be either easy to train or not cost much!

Speed Racer 06-30-2010 10:38 AM

NEVER buy for color. Conformation and temperament should be the first two things you look for, with breed and color being the very last.

A good horse is never a bad color, but there are plenty of 'purty' colored horses out there who are nutty, conformational trainwrecks.

You sound like a kid. Why in God's name do you think you want a foal? It'll be at least 3 years before you can ride it.

dally 06-30-2010 10:51 AM

everyone is right, dontn buy just for color, or a colt because you think its gonna be easier and cheaper.

i always wanted an appaloosa, ( spotted like dalmatian), i ended up buying a bay TB mare :lol:

you want to try different horses, ( so yeah one already trained) and see which one fits you better

what were you planning on doing? western? english?

ridergirl23 06-30-2010 11:15 AM

ya, don't go for color, I always wanted a paint, but I got a dark bay mare with no white except a few hairs on her face(not even enough to call it a star!)

Go for temperment! And confirmation.
But I would recomend just buying a young horse. I wanted a foal too, but then I thought about it and that would be a boring three years without riding it, or anything.
Posted via Mobile Device