The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Dealin with the hand I was dealt... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/dealin-hand-i-dealt-57410/)

TheRoughrider21 06-16-2010 10:12 AM

Dealin with the hand I was dealt...

2 Attachment(s)
This is Lakota. He had a nice mane, longish and thick, until his owner chopped it off cause it was full off burrs. Now this is what I'm left with(picture below isnt the greatest but I'll try to get a better one). I have no idea what to do. His mane looks like it goes to the right first, then it looks like it wants to stand straight up, and then it looks like it goes on the left. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks! =)

Speed Racer 06-16-2010 10:16 AM

It'll grow out. In the meantime, just let it alone.

He doesn't look bad like that, and unless you're planning to show him, what's the big deal?

corinowalk 06-16-2010 10:27 AM

I think it looks fine. If you plan on showing him, there is plenty there to band. Cute horse though!

equiniphile 06-16-2010 10:29 AM

I kinda like that look lol. You can grow it out and use MTG if you prefer, though
Posted via Mobile Device

GreyRay 06-16-2010 10:34 AM

you could let it grow out as is, or if you want you could roach it. My sisters pinto stud Comanchie's mane look like that right now :) because she roaches it than lets it grow.
Posted via Mobile Device

tarebear 06-16-2010 10:57 AM

I love it! I wish Tara's mane looked like that, but I'm too scared to roach it to get it like that =P

charlicata 06-16-2010 10:57 AM

I think he's adoreable. I wouldn't worry about the mane either though if you're not planning on showing him. To me, it looks like it's all going to fall to the same side when it does grow out again. If not, and you're worried about that one part going to the other side, you could always try a mane tamer. This is just MHO.

Alwaysbehind 06-16-2010 11:46 AM

I do not see anything wrong with it.

Like others have said, if you are going to a show just band or braid it.

I much prefer a nice short mane than a straggly long mane.

TheRoughrider21 06-16-2010 01:38 PM

I just don't like it. It isnt nearly as thick as it used to be and I'm obsessed with thick manes and tails. Besides the fact that I ride at a show barn and get made fun of for his mane, there's really no other issue besides the fact that it bothers me and its weird to brush...too thin to even do much with it.

Alwaysbehind 06-16-2010 02:09 PM

It looks plenty thick enough to properly braid or band.

What kind (style of riding) of show barn do you ride at?