The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Stallion Shopping - light colored RMH, KMSH (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/stallion-shopping-light-colored-rmh-kmsh-57464/)

sarah wood 06-16-2010 07:31 PM

Stallion Shopping - light colored RMH, KMSH

I'm shopping around for Kentucky Mountain or Rocky Mountain Stallions and figured it wouldn't hurt to post on here and see if you all have come across anything that stood out to you. What I'm really looking for is a well built, thick bodied, light colored horse (perlino, cremello, champagne) with a good temperament, great gait, and prefereably with no white feet or face markings. I'm totally aware that color is the least important of stallion qualities to look for, but as I browsed the major rocky mountain breeders' sites, all I really found were blacks, chocolates, and the odd roan. If I can find a "horse of a different color" that's as good as the others, I'd consider giving him a shot!

kigers4ever 06-16-2010 08:17 PM

What area are you looking in? How far are you willing to truck from? I am in Canada and my neighbour has a perlino RMH stallion.

RockNRoll 06-16-2010 08:35 PM

Yes - color is not the most important criteria but, if you can get it all why not. For color, I like Strider's Major Buckskin Stallion who produces nice foals - he is standing at Vanbertfarms Van Bert Breeding, Stallions, Shipped Cooled Semen, Pastor Breeding They also have a young Amber Champaign Stallion (who I saw when we went for trail ride last month) but not sure if they are breeding him yet. Derick at Rockin Ridge Farm in Bardstown KY has an awesome perlino stallion who has great conformation and is well gaited that you might want to check out breeding

Best of luck

sarah wood 06-17-2010 05:47 PM

That stud at Rockin Ridge is gorgeous, but goodness gracious, a $1000 stud fee! He's pretty and all, but in this economy you could by you a top shelf mare for that price, never mind gambling with a baby!

Thanks for the replies!

MacabreMikolaj 06-17-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarah wood (Post 663643)
That stud at Rockin Ridge is gorgeous, but goodness gracious, a $1000 stud fee! He's pretty and all, but in this economy you could by you a top shelf mare for that price, never mind gambling with a baby!

Thanks for the replies!

^

Srsly? Then go BUY ONE.

AztecBaby 06-17-2010 09:28 PM

Um, sorry, but there is no such thing as a perlino or cremello with 'no white feet' I'm not sure about champagnes. If your talking about white feet as in the horse having leg markings than good luck trying to spot them on a horse that is pretty much white already.

sarah wood 06-17-2010 09:48 PM

Well I'm not looking for a perlino or cremello with purple feet, I'm talking about leg markings. I've definitely seen perlinos with white feet, and they stand out, and haven't seen many cremellos to start with, at least not in person, so I wouldn't be able to say, but I'm guessing it's as much a visual difference as "egg shell" and "white," which isn't huge, but is a difference. But, if they're bred to solid legged mares and throw a lot of "socked" foals from that pairing, they might have that gene in the soup.
Like I said, not that it's the most important thing, but if it's a difference between an outstanding foal with no white feet or an outstanding foal with 3 white feet, I'd go with no white.

To MacabreMikolaj, I'm stallion browsing, not mare shopping, but thanks for the input.

RockNRoll 06-17-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarah wood (Post 663643)

Thanks for the replies!

I hear you - it is double what the going rate for a proven Stallion with winning conformation & gait - but they guarantee color or your $ back. Agree do not breed if you can find a well gaited mare that suits you. Best of luck.