The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Sick Sport.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/sick-sport-57465/)

ladybugsgirl 06-16-2010 08:36 PM

Sick Sport....

Ok so I know that there is a lot of horse sports that treat there horses horrible. But the sickest thing for me to watch is horses that are not fully developed forced to race. Thats right I hate horse racing. Yes there is a lot of nice racehorses out there but it sickens me that Ruffian, Go for Wand, Pine Island and a bunch of others were pushed too hard too soon. It just makes me sick. At least WP people aren't racing there two year olds at full speed. Thoughbreds have be come disposible that is probably why there is sooo many being breed because soo many are breaking down. Just sick what people do for money. I am not just picking on racing. I don't like rulker (i know I spelt that wrong) training, I hate the suicide races and a lot of western stuff. There is stuff wrong in every equine sport. But people should really consider the health of there horses. Sorry just had to vent but tell me what you think.

equiniphile 06-16-2010 08:42 PM

I think there are and will always be the terrible people of each discipline that will give it a bad name, but there are few to no acknowledged equine "sports" I would pinpoint as all terrible and unfair.
Posted via Mobile Device

BaliDoll 06-16-2010 08:52 PM

^ Agreed.

JustDressageIt 06-16-2010 08:58 PM

There are skeletons in each and every discipline's closet, unfortunately.

SorrelHorse 06-16-2010 10:05 PM

There will always be bad things in every sport because nothing is flawless. When you think about it, humans do the same thing to themselves. We work too hard and hurt ourselves. A horse runs too hard and hurts itself. Same concept. I think the horses should be recognized on the same level as humans. People don't understand how durable horses are. Yes racing can be cruel but so is football or cheerleading or anything else humans do. I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying that sometimes people need to look at themselves before they judge others.

And also, if you are against it so muchget up and do soething about it. I hate it when people complain about everything but aren't willing to get off their butt and do something for it. And as for WP, I stopped showing WP because I was sick of seeing young horses break or I hurt their SPINES because they roll and lurch and drag themselves around the arena. I had a filly do that that I loved to death, and now I continue to have a WP bloodlines who train with heads up and natural, flowing, happy gaits. No peanut rollers here. I don't hate WP, but I am trying to change it.

Yes, racehorses break down. Yes, it's sad. No, I don't like it. No, I'm not doing anything to help it. Why? Because I know exactly what goes on and exactly what the sport demands. There is no changing it. If you want to try, go ahead. I wish you luck. I would do something if I could, but unfortunately I see things differantly and do not wish to intervene because I have no time nor do I have the views to do so. But I do wish all you activists to give it a shot and I'll give ya a good word if you change it.

All I'm sayin' is you can talk all ya want but you better be ready to do something about it.

Oh, an ignore my typos. I'm on an iPod keyboard.
Posted via Mobile Device

ladybugsgirl 06-16-2010 10:19 PM

Ok first off I mentioned that yes there was other sports I didn't agree with I was not just pinpointing racing its just the one I hate the most. Yes I have helped I am taking in a OTTB, I've volunteered at a rescue and I have notified people about what some horses have to go through. I was not judging others I was just saying I didn't like the racing sport. I never once judged anyone all the stuff I said are from firsthand accounts and some from watching and hearing about as well. So sorrelhorse you just judged me.

ridergirl23 06-16-2010 10:57 PM

I agree with sorrelhorse. Hate it to, but going around saying it's bad and I hate it ain't gunna change it, adopting a horse is fantastic and really improves a horses life, but that isn't doing something about the sport, it's just picking up after it. Just my two cents, I'm not trying to attack you.
Congrats on adopting a horse tho, I'm sure he/she will be very happy
Posted via Mobile Device

sarahver 06-16-2010 11:06 PM

I agree, the racing industry is particularly unkind, the horses are started very young and worked very hard when they haven't finished developing sometimes causing injuries or breakdowns. I have always owned and trained OTTB's, both for myself and others. I love them, even with the bad habits they pick up at the race track and off various jockeys, exercise riders and stable hands.

It is hard for us to understand as horse owners as we look at our horses as our hobby, training buddy, our pet, members of our family, however you want to put it. In the eyes of a trainer/owner/jockey they are nothing but a pay check, if that. That is the harsh reality of the racing industry however I wouldn't go so far as to call it a sick sport, it just isn't how I would treat a horse of my own.

sorelhorse 06-16-2010 11:19 PM

guessing you dont like wp?

anyways, every single discipline has its flaw. not just racing or whatever, every discipline.

SorrelHorse 06-16-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugsgirl (Post 662671)
I've volunteered at a rescue and I have notified people about what some horses have to go through. I was not judging others I was just saying I didn't like the racing sport. I never once judged anyone all the stuff I said are from firsthand accounts and some from watching and hearing about as well. So sorrelhorse you just judged me.

Sure I judged you, but saying you haven't judged anyone is doing nothing for your cause. You are judging the sport by the bad people and not the good ones. Don't say you aren't judging people. At least embrace it. Yes, I judged you. Judging is wrong. I should know better. But apparently I don't.

And volunteering is all fine and dandy, but that isn't going to change two year old racing. And neither is adopting, unfortunately. If it did then we wouldn't have problems anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device