The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Western Vs English...which is better? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/western-vs-english-better-57468/)

Thorn4 06-16-2010 08:20 PM

Western Vs English...which is better?

So, I have yet to ever try riding, but I was wondering which is better to try for a beginner?

Western or English?

Please post your opinions on this. Thank you! :-)

equiniphile 06-16-2010 08:25 PM

What do you want to do? Eventing? Trail riding? Jumping? Showing? Barrel racing? Go with what interests you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Waybueno 06-16-2010 08:36 PM

-cough-western
:]
It really depends on what interests you though.
Know one can tell you to do something because everyone's gonna tell you something different.

Spastic_Dove 06-16-2010 08:38 PM

This thread is a trainwreck waiting to happen...

I like both

franknbeans 06-16-2010 08:39 PM

Whichever I happen to be doing at that moment.......lol

seriously-does depend on what they want to do, as said above.

barrelracer892 06-16-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 662610)
This thread is a trainwreck waiting to happen...

I like both

Haha! I totally agree with you! I wonder how long this thing is going to be!

I ride western. NOBODY around where I live rides English. I have an English saddle that I ride in every now and then. I think it's fun because I'm not used to doing it everyday. It also helps me with my balance because it doesn't have the deep seat the western saddles do. What intrigues you the most? Do you like the jumping, cross country, dressage kind of stuff? Or the barrel racing, reining, cattle cutting kind of stuff? You should ride however you want to ride.

Thorn4 06-16-2010 08:58 PM

Ok look guys. If you think this will be a "train wreck" then don't answer my question.

I'm a beginner, I want to know a bit about each style of riding. Seems like too much to ask though.

And this would be for trail riding.

smrobs 06-16-2010 09:00 PM

It is really kindof a toss-up if you don't have a particular interest other than riding. In English, you usually learn better position and have better balance because you have less saddle to hold on to. However, western offers the security of a saddle horn and IMHO, the saddles are more comfortable (but that may be because I have never had an english saddle that fit me right). It is all a matter of personal preferance and what draws you. Do you ultimately want to be involved in dressage, jumping, cow work, roping, etc, etc?

PS, there is no reason not to learn both.

Thorn4 06-16-2010 09:04 PM

I think I would prefer Western. I watched a girl take a riding lesson and she rides western. It looks pretty fun, and simple enough. But I have never ridden a day in my life, nor have I cared much about horses until about just over a week ago. :\

OhSoAppy 06-16-2010 09:10 PM

IMO there is no discipline that is 'better' . It is all just personal preference in what you want to do.

Proper riding is universal. Good position, balance, aids etc. is expected in both disciplines.

What style do you prefer?Then you have to go from there. If you like Western do you want to do Reining, Western Pleasure, Trail, Cutting, Ranch Horse Versatility etc.