The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is this possible? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/possible-57521/)

paintluver 06-17-2010 01:09 PM

Is this possible?

My 7 year old mare was completely bay when I bought her this winter, but as the monthes have passed she is roaning. Is that possible for her to be changing to a roan or a grey?

Alwaysbehind 06-17-2010 01:13 PM

Winter coat and summer coat can easily be different.

Speed Racer 06-17-2010 01:13 PM

She could very well be roaning out, which means she has the rabicano or sabino genes.

She's not likely to go completely gray, because she would have done so before now.

I have a fleabitten gray gelding. He was always gray, even as a youngster. He was a dark dappled gray with black points, and has now gone completely white with fleabites.

paintluver 06-17-2010 01:17 PM

Hmm, that would be cool if she got the sabino marks!
She right now only has little white hairs going down her ribcage and a big "spot" of white hair on her hip. I am enjoying watching her changing colors.

draftrider 06-17-2010 02:28 PM

My filly is doing the same thing- started out bay, now she is roaning and has little white dots all over her rump and sides. So fun!

paintluver 06-29-2010 11:08 AM

It is a lot of fun! I love watching how her color is changing.

paintluver 07-05-2010 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of one of her "Spots" on her leg. Then she has just a bunch of white hairs going up her ribcage area.

MLP 07-05-2010 09:30 PM

bays do not "grey out" so Id say your mare either carries the rabicano gene, or she has just always had slight roaning, that is only visible with the seasonal change of coat. I have a bay roan mare who is completly bay in winter, and in summer she is a true roan, with a brown head and legs and a grey body.

kassierae 07-05-2010 09:33 PM

^Yes, a bay can grey out. Any color can go grey. However, not at this age. She's either sabino or rabicano.

luvs2ride1979 07-05-2010 11:08 PM

I have a little bay mare that has done the same thing. She went from solid bay with just a few white hairs here and there, to quite "roany"! Mine is Rabicano. She's developing a skunk tail and some "bars" on her ribs from the gray hairs. Her hocks and one fetlock are almost "silver" looking.