The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Which makes a horse fat? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/makes-horse-fat-57541/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 06-17-2010 09:36 PM

Which makes a horse fat?

...grain or hay? Some people have said backing down a horse's grain is the most effective for losing weight...others have said hay is what makes them fat.

What's your opinion and why?
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 06-17-2010 09:40 PM

Definitely depends on what is in the hay and feed. I always give 24/7 free choice hay, and none of my horses have ever been really 'fat'. If they start to get chunky, I try to increase their exercise and/or decrease or change their grain rations.
Posted via Mobile Device

riccil0ve 06-17-2010 09:41 PM

It's not either hay or grain, it's THE hay and THE grain and the amount you give. Excess hay is just as likely to cause a horse to gain weight as excess grain. It's just that some grains would need to be fed in higher amounts than others to get the same affect. Make sense? Haha.

The nutrition thing is pretty new to me, I just finished that section in my vet book. It's all about digestable energy or something like that, lol. If the horse gets more digestable energy, whatever it is, than it needs, it will gain weight. =]

Hoofprints in the Sand 06-17-2010 09:48 PM

I ask because my horse was fat so I switched her to a pelleted feed away from the sweet feed she was on that the barn feeds.

Now she looks much better and a healthy weight but I noticed that she is ot of hay completely by 6 or 7 pm every night...but when I asked for her hay to be increased I was told no, that it would make her fat.

She is worked every other day and we Event...how much hay should she be getting? By the way it's a Timothy mix.
Posted via Mobile Device

kmdstar 06-17-2010 09:49 PM

If you have an overweight horse I would say cut off some grain or switch to a vitamin supplement type thing, but you can't just not give your horse any hay/grass - they need one or the other. With horses that are overweight due to insulin resistentance (or any other metabolic problem), you're supposed to have them in a dry lot and soak their hay.

With skinny horses, I say give them 24/7 hay and slowly add grain until you get them up to an everyday ration.

It totally depends on horses, freechoice hay makes a skinny horse get to a decent weight (usually, unless they are a hard keeper) and other horses maintain their weight, I don't think it makes horses overweight. I think grain plays more of a role in that.

kmdstar 06-17-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand (Post 663772)
I ask because my horse was fat so I switched her to a pelleted feed away from the sweet feed she was on that the barn feeds.

Now she looks much better and a healthy weight but I noticed that she is ot of hay completely by 6 or 7 pm every night...but when I asked for her hay to be increased I was told no, that it would make her fat.

She is worked every other day and we Event...how much hay should she be getting? By the way it's a Timothy mix.
Posted via Mobile Device

The important factor we need to know is what kind of feed she is on? Pelleted doesn't make a feed any healthier than sweet feed.

A horse working that much should have plenty of hay, less grain if weight is THAT much of an issue. What is the turnout schedule like and is it pasture or a paddock with high grass or barely any?

Hoofprints in the Sand 06-17-2010 09:57 PM

well she was on a ration balancer pellet until I found out she is allergic to soy bean and molasses. Now she gets oats and a vitamin and mineral supplement from Smart pak...easy keeper grass.

She is turned out all day but not really any grass...they put hay out instead. Then hay when she comes in but she's always out by evening :(
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 06-17-2010 09:57 PM

What's the nutritional information of the feed?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoofprints in the Sand 06-17-2010 09:59 PM

She looks great now! Not the least bit fat anymore and the hay amount didn't change just the grain she was on. But I'm concerned about her going 12 hours with no forage :(
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 06-17-2010 09:59 PM

In my experience, oats are used for adding weight. I went to an equine nutrition seminar when my senior was getting thin, and I was told to add a cup of oats to his diet.
Posted via Mobile Device