The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Trucks/Trailers? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/trucks-trailers-57568/)

upupandflyaway1 06-18-2010 03:59 AM

Trucks/Trailers?

SO, I know some of you are REALLY knowledgeable on the subject of trucks and trailers and all that mechanical stuff. (:

My friend is looking into buying a truck and a trailer. She is currently using her parents and they are getting tired of it, fast. So this is the dilemma:

She either needs to buy a truck that can pull her current trailer (3 horse)
She needs to buy a truck and a trailer ( a lighter trailer so that she doesn't have to haul so much weight)

Her current trailer weighs 4,500 unloaded. She needs to know what kind of truck can haul that and her 3 horses safely. She has two BIG warmbloods and one thoroughbred. So loaded, all three horses and tack, it probably weighs close to 9,000-10,000.

She doesn't want a diesel because its also going to be her everyday car and I have heard that diesels are not every day cars, they are used for hauling and long distances and they get ruined if you keep starting/stopping. I dont know. Haha, again, NOT a car person.

What do you think is smarter to do..buy a new truck and a lighter trailer, shes thinking a two horse since she never takes all 3 all at once. Or do you think just keeping the current trailer and making up the difference in buying a bigger truck to haul the bigger trailer?

What do you use to pull your trailer? how does it work? What do you wish you would of known when you were truck/trailer shopping? Anything will be helpful. We don't want to discuss prices, we just need to know what she should be looking at in terms of hauling and whats she NEEDS to pull those horses. (: Any questions, just ask. I just hope you guys can help!:shock:

PaintHorseMares 06-18-2010 04:51 AM

Hard question since it really comes down to how much you want to spend since too much is better than too little.

We have a Dodge Ram 1500 and a 2 horse stock trailer which works fine. If I had more to spend (or willing to go more in debt), I would have gone with a 3/4 ton truck and a larger, aluminum stock trailer.....but the price difference was large.

upupandflyaway1 06-18-2010 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 664102)
Hard question since it really comes down to how much you want to spend since too much is better than too little.

We have a Dodge Ram 1500 and a 2 horse stock trailer which works fine. If I had more to spend (or willing to go more in debt), I would have gone with a 3/4 ton truck and a larger, aluminum stock trailer.....but the price difference was large.

THats what we were noticing too! You jump from an f-150 to an f-250 and there is HUUUUGE price leap. Its nuts. I definitley think shes going to end up with the 3/4 ton or even larger because we all know a 1/2 ton just wont cut it with the horses.

socks 06-19-2010 12:15 AM

for a truck i would go for a ford if you are going to pull a three horse maybe just a 250... i drive a ford 250 with a 20 foot stock trailer and it pulls the trailer like there is nothing there. when its loaded with horses the only thing i can feel is the horses moving around... but thats with a diesel... my suggestion if your into the environment diesel i think is better because it doesn't use as much gas as the gas vehicles use the diesels only need enough to keep the engine running.. ya its not good to turn them on and off all the time but they are better and get more miles per gallon..

Mingiz 06-22-2010 07:19 AM

If your going to make the investment into a truck either older or new. Get the truck that will do the job you want it to do. I have an 06 F250 6.0 diesel and I use it to tow a 4h steel bp and a 3h sl with 8ft LQ. I also use it as my daily driver. I average 16mpg around town. When loaded with the LQ I get around 13. In the long run you may pay more for a diesel but if you keep good maintenance on it. It will last you forever...Also nothing less than a 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton pick ups are ok but aren't built as heavy duty as a 3/4 ton or 1 ton dually. Also make sure the truck has a towing package not just a brake controller and hitch added..Make sure it has a transmission cooler and heavy duty radiator...or even tow/haul (ford) It's a huge investment and the diesels also have a better resale value..Go to Horse Trailer world and ask around you will get some great info there....

artsyjenn 06-29-2010 01:47 PM

"What do you use to pull your trailer? how does it work? What do you wish you would of known when you were truck/trailer shopping?"

We've had horses for 12 years but just this year bought our first truck and trailer, since my daughter is starting to show in 4H (we've always had access to friend's trailers in case we needed them). We have a 2008 F150 and a 7 foot tall stock trailer. Very happy with the combo. I don't even feel the horses moving around back there (we don't have huge draft crosses or anything like that though).
We have 2 other cars and really only use the truck for towing and hauling (neither of which we do long distances), so I haven't paid too much attention to the mileage.
Love the stock trailer. Horses go in really easy, plenty of room. Ours also has a tack/dressing room in front (which can be opened up for even more room), which is really convenient.

upupandflyaway1 06-29-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artsyjenn (Post 674873)
"What do you use to pull your trailer? how does it work? What do you wish you would of known when you were truck/trailer shopping?"

We've had horses for 12 years but just this year bought our first truck and trailer, since my daughter is starting to show in 4H (we've always had access to friend's trailers in case we needed them). We have a 2008 F150 and a 7 foot tall stock trailer. Very happy with the combo. I don't even feel the horses moving around back there (we don't have huge draft crosses or anything like that though).
We have 2 other cars and really only use the truck for towing and hauling (neither of which we do long distances), so I haven't paid too much attention to the mileage.
Love the stock trailer. Horses go in really easy, plenty of room. Ours also has a tack/dressing room in front (which can be opened up for even more room), which is really convenient.

Your F-150 Pulls it?! Wow. Right now were using a F-350 dually to pull out trailer, it sure does the trick.

barrelracer892 06-29-2010 02:08 PM

I use my dad's truck to pull my trailer. I have a 2 horse. A HUGE 2 horse. It weighs 5,000 pounds unloaded. It's a big horsie size trailer :]. He has a '95 2WD 1500 Chevy Silverado. It has some trouble going up hills with it, but it could also be the age. It has about 200,000 miles on it. The farthest we have taken it is 5 hours away, South. We can't go too far North, over big mountains, because we worry about the truck. As far as she is just doing local shows and not traveling across the country, a 1500 truck would be fine. I recommend 4WD. My friends have stock trailers that hold 4 horses and they have 1500s that pull it. Not far, because it's rough on the transmission, but it will pull it.

artsyjenn 06-29-2010 02:09 PM

Yep, easy breezy. It is an F150 with a towing package, though I forget exactly what that consists of lol. It's hooked up right now since we are taking horses to the fairgrounds tonight, so I snapped a pic.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...otos/truck.jpg

upupandflyaway1 06-29-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artsyjenn (Post 674903)
Yep, easy breezy. It is an F150 with a towing package, though I forget exactly what that consists of lol. It's hooked up right now since we are taking horses to the fairgrounds tonight, so I snapped a pic.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...otos/truck.jpg

How much does your trailer weigh completely loaded? and whats the max towing capacity on that f-150?