The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   should I do any thrush preventative? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/should-i-do-any-thrush-preventative-57588/)

Juniper 06-18-2010 01:06 PM

should I do any thrush preventative?

It has been raining non stop here. The pastures we keep our horses in are getting too soggy and my horse is getting fat. The ground is muddy in most areas if I pull him off pasture. I put them in stalls a couple of really rainy nights but they hate it and will exit unless I lock them in. Plus, it costs me considerably more to have them in there. The person at the feed store suggested Hoof Heal as a preventative of thrush or other wet problems.
It is made of linseed oil, spirits of turpetine, menhaden oil, bees wax , balsam
of fir and oil of vitriol. Can't decide if that would make them more moist or not?

kitten_Val 06-18-2010 01:52 PM

Why not to just clean the hoofs couple times a day? That would be the best thrush prevention. Personally I don't like to use any "prevention" stuff as I heard different opinions on those hoof dressings.

Juniper 06-18-2010 03:10 PM

Well, I board away from my house so I can't get over there a couple of times a day. I have been making sure to get there once a day and clean their hooves. Maybe some days I can get over there more often though. Thanks for the suggestion.

My Beau 06-18-2010 04:25 PM

If we have wet weather here or if one of my horses is starting with thrush I use a mixture of betadine and water. Just mix them so it looks like strong tea and spray/squirt on and around the frog.

It's a great treatment and preventative :)

Juniper 06-18-2010 07:06 PM

Okay, I actually have some of that in a spray bottle from when Peppy had a skin problem and the vet said the same thing, make it look like tea :). So that is easy to do once a day. thanks