The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Western pleasure bit. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/western-pleasure-bit-57590/)

ToHotToTrot 06-18-2010 01:04 PM

Western pleasure bit.

Could this bit below be used as a western pleasure bit? We have just started to jog, lope and learn her headset. I plan to just use this bit for western pleasure and nothing else. Tell me what you think! Have any of you had any experence using these bits? Could i also use this bit in shows?

Myler Low Port Dee Bit MB 04 - Dover Saddlery.

JustDressageIt 06-18-2010 01:18 PM

Please do not start your horse in a curb bit until she knows and has almost perfected everything in a snaffle, especially neck reining.
Posted via Mobile Device

ToHotToTrot 06-18-2010 01:28 PM

do you have any suggestions?
Korsteel Sweet Iron French Link Snaffle Bit - Statelinetack.com
This is the bit we use now, but im worried she will get so use to the pressure in this one and be confused with the curb bit. she cant show in the bit we have her on now. She has her basics, we are just working on slower her down and collecting herself into the jog and lope and her finding rythme.

JustDressageIt 06-18-2010 01:48 PM

Ok I will reply more when I have a full keyboard, but I will say now that you have to remember that most of your riding (ESPECIALLY in a curb) comes from your seat and leg aids. When you ride in a curb, you *should* be able to ride with floss for reins just about, because your riding comes from your body, NOT your bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

ToHotToTrot 06-18-2010 02:14 PM

Im just looking for a new bit that i will be able to show in, and teach collection in. From the discription that dover saddlery gives it seems to be the right bit. What are some concerns you have towards this bit? Just curious;D I did read the article that you put up, and there was this mouthpiece you commented on, and said it was a "Very nice mild mouthpiece" and "independent side action". I do realise that almost all of your riding comes from your legs and seat, and i would like a bit that would be aiming more towards what i am trying to achive.

ToHotToTrot 06-18-2010 11:18 PM

I just relised the bit i posted above would not be allowed in western pleasure, here is the one im thinking about getting.
Western Bits - Myler Western Dee Low Port Comfort Snaffle (MB 04)

Anyone have any comments/opinions/concerns about this bit? I would like to know before i buy it lol

- thanksss(: