The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   EnvironMENTALS! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/environmentals-57645/)

kiwigirl 06-19-2010 01:44 AM

EnvironMENTALS!

I don't know about anyone else but the whole 'climate change' BS just drives me up the wall. I try to ignore stuff, I never watch the news, I don't read the newspaper, I refuse to watch current event shows etc. Yet despite my best efforts this week some utter rubbish crept in and infuriated me. Also it has come to me that my daughter is going to be going to school next year and she is going to be inundated with PC, fear mongering crap. And it scares me because I do not want my child to be carrying the burden of the end of the world on her shoulders.

I recieved a forward from a friend which cracked me up and inspired this thread ( for better or worse). Anyone else getting sick of being told you are destroying the planet or is it just me?

All of you out there across the globe who have fought so hard to tackle the hideous enemy of our planet, namely carbon emissions, you know ....that bogus god you worship of “Climate Change” or “Global Warming” ....well, I feel it is necessary to inform you of some bad news. It really does pain me to have to bring you this disappointing information.

Are you sitting down?

Okay, here's the bombshell. The current volcanic eruption going on in Iceland, since its first spewing of volcanic ash has, in just FOUR DAYS, NEGATED EVERY SINGLE EFFORT you have made in the past five years to control CO2 emissions on our planet - all of you.

Of course you know about this evil carbon dioxide that we are trying to suppress - it’s that vital chemical compound that every plant requires to live and grow and to synthesise into oxygen for us humans and all animal life.

I know, I know.... (group hug)...it's very disheartening to realise that all of the carbon emission savings you have accomplished while suffering the inconvenience and expense of: driving Prius hybrids, buying fabric grocery bags, sitting up till midnight to finish your kid's "The Green Revolution" science project, throwing out all of your non-green cleaning supplies, using only two squares of toilet paper, putting a brick in your toilet tank reservoir, selling your SUV and speedboat, vacationing at home instead of Bali, nearly getting hit every day on your bicycle, replacing all of your $1 light bulbs with $10 light bulbs ...well, all of those things you have done have all gone down the tubes in just four days.

The volcanic ash emitted into the Earth's atmosphere in just four days - yes - FOUR DAYS ONLY by that volcano in Iceland, has totally erased every single effort you have made to reduce the evil beast, carbon. And there are around 200 active volcanoes on the planet spewing out this crud any one time - EVERY DAY.

Oh, I don't really want to rain on your parade too much, but I should mention that when the volcano Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines in 1991, it spewed out more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than the entire human race had emitted in its entire 40 MILLION YEARS on earth. Yes folks, Mt Pinatubo was active for over one year - think about it.

Of course I shouldn't spoil this touchy-feely tree-hugging moment and mention the effect of solar and cosmic activity and the well-recognised 800-year global heating and cooling cycle, which keep happening, despite our completely insignificant efforts to affect climate change.

I'm so sorry. And I do wish I had a silver lining to this volcanic ash cloud but the fact of the matter is that the bush fire season across the western USA and Australia this year alone will negate your efforts to reduce carbon in our world for the next two to three years. And it happens every year.

Just remember that your government just tried to impose a whopping carbon tax on you on the basis of the bogus “human-caused” climate change scenario.

Hey, isn’t it interesting how they don’t mention “Global Warming” any more, but just “Climate Change” - you know why? It’s because the planet has COOLED by 0.7 degrees in the past century and these global warming bull**** artists got caught with their pants down.

And just keep in mind that if that same government is re-elected, you will have an Emissions Trading Scheme - that whopping new tax - imposed on you, that will achieve absolutely nothing except make you poorer. It won’t stop any volcanoes from erupting, that’s for sure.

But hey, grab a Coke, give the world a hug and have a nice day!

PS: I wonder if Iceland is buying carbon offsets?

roro 06-19-2010 02:02 AM

Go breathe the air in Beijing and come back to dismiss efforts in reducing air pollution then. It's a serious problem and it needs to be addressed whether we like it or not. What 'climate change BS' are you referring to exactly?

kiwigirl 06-19-2010 03:25 AM

Oh yes, pleasse hold me responsible for a billion people in Beijing. The BS that I am talking about is hypocrisy, pure and simple. I am also talking about the use of environmental issues to manipulate people.

Ok here is where I get confused. Don't you ever walk through the isles of your grocery store and realise that 80 percent of what is in there is unneccessary to human exsistance? How many types of plastic wraps, bags, containers, air fresheners, tissues, shampoos, conditioners, detanglers, gels, smellies for body, house, car, cleaning chemicals for body, house, car, artificial foods DO WE NEED? We are told to worry about the methane of the fart of a cow yet what toll and waste of natural resources is expended in the manufacture of JUNK, unneccessary junk, wrapped up in pretty labels telling us that they are good for the environment. By the way most of these things are being manufactured by China because manufacture is so much cheaper there due to the fact they don't have to regulate pollution, emmissions, and health and safety. Do you want to talk about Beijing??

How many people buy tabloid magazines? What is the cost of this piece of gossipy, unneccessary, disgusting and more often than not, wrong, trash to our planet. What toll does Oprah, Ellen Degeneres etc have on our resources if we have to watch what sort of lights we buy, what the hell are those zillion watt studio lights on 16hrs a day, 7 days a week taking from the worlds resources? What about your average car chase, bomb fest movie? Does the fuel consumption and emmissions not count because they are for entertainment?

I love being told that being a vegetarian is environmentally friendly and that eating meat is bad for the environment. So tell me what vegetables grow in say, Canada, during the winter. Hmmmm not many, golly vegetarians have to rely on automotive transport and electrically run refrigeration to get their food - from other parts of the world!!!!! By the way, in order for a lot of vege to grow well and to be nutritionally beneficial they need to grow in fields that lie fallow for a season. Oops no time, no room to leave a paddock unused for 4 months, oh well we will use chemicals instead to get the desired results. CHEMICALS MANUFACTURED PROBABLY IN CHINA!!

The point that I am trying to make is that when a company like Johnson & Johnson or other major companies stand up and say "I am sorry but we are going to have to stop making crap for you people because it is taking too much of a toll on the environment". Or a person in show biz says although we are going to loose a **** load of money, the environment can't stand us running this studio 27/7 anymore so we are going to be using less air time. Or even a government says well we are going to get less tax revenue but we need to stop the manufacture of unneccessary products. Until these things happen I am afraid I can not take environmental issues seriously. Given the state of consumerism how can I?

Sissimut-icehestar 06-19-2010 09:17 AM

The volcanic eruption here actually grounded so many flights that in the end, LESS CO2 was emitted that would have been.

http://kajsaha.com/wp-content/upload...s_volcanos.png

Go Eyjafjallajökull!

Edit: My vegetables are grown in greenhouses heated with hot water that gushes from the ground, no environmental damage there.

wannahorse22 06-19-2010 09:26 AM

It annoys the crap out of me!!! They say it's "global warming", and the world is going to end...yeah, well those are the same scientists who said 10 yrs. ago that we would be in a ice age right now. I mean really?? What kind of aroggant person can say that we are destroying the planet?! They act like our planet can't just go through some climate changes....oh but NO according to those idiots WE are destroying the planet! So I guess we should all go plant a billion tree's and everything will be all better:p.
Sorry for the rant:)

Sissimut-icehestar 06-19-2010 09:30 AM

Quite frankly, what have we got to lose if we just cut down on CO2 emission? Either we are killing our planet and it either slows down or stops. If we aren't having a negative effect when we'll all have better, cleaner air? It's a win-win situation to me.

gypsygirl 06-19-2010 09:43 AM

what are you talking about..we are destroying our planet.....

Indyhorse 06-19-2010 10:02 AM

I absolutely LOVE the word fear-mongering!!

Especially when it's applied to proven scientific fact!

I automatically award negative intelligence points to anyone who uses it, particularly on this topic! :lol:

kevinshorses 06-19-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sissimut-icehestar (Post 665050)
Quite frankly, what have we got to lose if we just cut down on CO2 emission? Either we are killing our planet and it either slows down or stops. If we aren't having a negative effect when we'll all have better, cleaner air? It's a win-win situation to me.

The problem is that the governments that are mandating the lower emmision standards are hurting peoples liveleyhood, wasteing tax dollars that could be spent actually doing something and grabbing more power than a central government should have. Fraud is never innocent and benign. The carbon credits scam is brilliant in that everyone with half a brain can see it for the scam it is but nobody is stopping it. It rolls forward a little more every day. Companies that are forced by the government to buy carbon offsets are going to pass the cost on to customers making the poor people poorer while the rich get richer.

One of the problems with the climate change initiatives is the "I've got mine but you can't have yours" attitude of the people. The entire continent of Africa is being kept in poverty and war because industrialized countries that tamed thier frontier many generations ago are taking steps to ensure that African countries that could be producing more than enough food to feed thier people are creating nature preserves and not utilizing thier natural resources. That is why they all have to have thier hands out.

TaMMa89 06-19-2010 10:15 AM

I think people have affected and still affect on the Earth's climate and that will have impacts everything on the Earth some day, human (and animal) life included. The truth is that I've learnt that at school but I've also learnt that nobody doesn't really know what kind of impacts whole the thing will finally have, referring to your statement that climate has become colder. So it's possible that some places will actually turn colder. I also believe that it's good to make some efforts so we can stop developing like that since none knows what it'll finally cause. Erupting volcanoes are natural disasters which can have huge, even disastrous impacts just like meteors or some other disasters can have too. I still believe that won't make our efforts useless - we can't affect everything; things happens but we can still make some efforts, try to our best and hope it helps even a bit.

I'm still not that radical environmentalist or support radical idealisms like linkolaism (i.e. I don't think the right solution is go to back to mud huts without water or electric, wearing just some furs that you've hunted yourself) and don't believe hysteria or rough blaming helps anyone. I haven't noticed any alarming changes in climate myself and don't have sleepless nights because of it. What I believe is that we have a situation that will perhaps turn a problem in future, we can't know it yet. So my suggestion is just to be rational and pay attention to some small choices in your daily life and hope humankind will have some good innovations in future. Yes I do drive a car, lighten my house when there's dark inside and eat meat etc. and I'm not going to give up activities like that. Instead of staying at home all the time because I don't want to release exhaust fumes I try to drive economically and use car when the distance is too long to cycle or walk or if I'm too tired to walk or cycle sometimes, hoping there will be something else but gasoline cars some day. Instead of staying dark I lighten my house but if I don't spend time at some room I leave it dark. I know it's a way more ecological to grow vegetables than beef cattle but I still eat meat since I enjoy it. I still don't overindulge with it. If there's a organic waste trash can close to me, I don't throw a banana peel to a normal trash can (but won't have horrible repentances if I have to use a normal trash can every now and then :wink:).

Moderateness, baby, moderateness :lol:. I think none have to become an ascetic because of the climate change, but closing your eyes and going overconsumption isn't good either. Just live your life and enjoy it, be reasonable and do what you can with moderate efforts. I think there are some parties that should change their way to act more but those are often someone elses but normal people trying to live their daily life.

ETA: And the truth also is that climate will change, despite of it if we do something here or if we don't. It's a normal process. We can just affect on speed and direction of the change a bit.