The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Vent! - Am I being ‘ridiculous’? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/vent-am-i-being-%91ridiculous%92-57688/)

Britt 06-19-2010 09:57 PM

Vent! - Am I being ‘ridiculous’?

I haven’t had a good vent about my uncle David in a good long while... but I’ve got one now!

I walked Jaxxon earlier... we didn’t go far, only about half a mile... but I passed by my uncle’s house and he was outside mowing his grass. He hollered ‘hey’ and I waved back and went on.

On the way back, he was talking to his son Earl, and noticed me coming back. He hollered down and asked me if I’d had a saddle on Jaxxon’s back yet. I was like “no... he’s still too thin, plus he’s too young both mentally and physically”... Which I believe he is. Jaxxon acts like a baby more than anything... nervous of things, extremely inquisitive, timid, etc... He just reminds me too much of a baby and I get the feeling that if he’s pushed too much before he’s ready, he’ll have some sort of ‘nervous breakdown’. He may not, but that’s just the way I feel about him.

Anyway, David hollered for me to come on up and he and Earl would “throw a saddle over his back” for me. I was like “no, I’m still getting him used to everything and he’s still too small”. David went off on a rant about how I was being foolish and an idiot for not breaking him with him being too thin, because with him underweight, he wouldn’t fight me much and I could break him easier. I was just like “Yeah, well...”.

I’ll admit, I have jumped up and leaned over his back a full total of three times... for like half a minute each time, because I just feel like he’s too immature, both mentally and physically. I finally ‘got away’ from my uncle when I mentioned this, and just nodded when he was all like “you need to put a saddle on him and ride him... I’ll break him for you”...

Um... no thanks. I may not even train Jaxxon until next year... I’m going his pace, not my pace. I just feel like if he’s pushed, he’s going to have a freak out or something, because he’s not like Gypsie or Dakota at all... he’s got a completely different personality and needs to be handled differently. Plus, I want him to trust me like my other two horses do... I don’t want him scared of me like my uncles’ horses are of him.

I haven’t even been working much on desensitizing Jaxxon right now because I don’t want to stress him out what with him being in a new environment and all... Haven’t been walking him much in this heat because I want him to gain weight, not sweat it all off... but ‘nooo’... according to my uncle and cousin, I’m being a foolish idiot for not breaking him while he’s underweight and can’t ‘fight back’ as much.

Geesh...

PaintHorseMares 06-19-2010 10:19 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bringing a horse along slowly.

justsambam08 06-19-2010 10:22 PM

I agree. As long as you move on when Jaxxon tells you its time, who cares?

Cinnys Whinny 06-19-2010 10:29 PM

I agree, every horse has a different pace. Besides...if he's too thin he is more easily injured in my opinion. I would probably be doing just what you are doing right now.

Britt 06-19-2010 10:56 PM

Yeah, I know what you guys mean. That's how I see it too... My uncle and cousin just get me so upset with the way they treat their horses...

My horses are the only horses on a deworming schedule. Theirs haven't been dewormed in probably two or three years now.

My horses have hoof care and vet care when they need it. Their horses hooves are extremely long (not just slightly long, extremely, extremely long), and they've never gotten the vet out for any of them.

My horses get fed grain. Their horses don't ever get fed anything but what's in the pasture.

My horses like being around me. Their horses are scared of them/nervous around them.

If I don't ride for a while and get back on, I expect my horse to act up a little until it gets used to going again. If they don't ride for a while and get back on, they expect their horse to be perfect and get mad at it when it acts a little spirited.

And they (my uncle and cousin) wonders how I can catch my horses easily and they have to use feed half the time to get near one of theirs.

Etc...

Sorry for the vent, guys... I'm just frustrated...

Solon 06-20-2010 12:03 AM

Horses don't need grain.

Other than that note, I'd say do what you are doing and keep things slow and steady with your horse. Stand your ground. A good solid foundation on a horse is better than rushing things.

Northern 06-20-2010 12:18 AM

I don't know your age, but this'd be easier if you were legally adult, otherwise you'll need to talk with your parents/some other adult: uncle needs to be told to get the horses wormed & trimmed regularly, or animal control will be out to have a look! Someone must do this for the horses' sake & how awful that the neglect's gone on for so long!

ThatNinjaHorse 06-20-2010 01:30 AM

Yeah what everyone else said. Its your horse you can do what you want.
How old is he btw?

Britt 06-20-2010 10:23 AM

I am a legal adult, but even with that, my uncle and cousin still scare me and I hate confronting them over it. I've called animal control on other people out here before and they won't do a single thing (if they even come out) as long as the horses have pasture and water. Uncle is told to get the horses trimmed and wormed... his mum (my great g-ma) tells him... and he always says he will, but doesn't.

Oh, and Jaxxon is three. But he looks more like a two year old and acts like a yearling, IMO...

sarahver 06-20-2010 10:46 AM

Meh, I am currently breaking a horse for someone that is 13 years old. He didn't self destruct in the last 13 years from not being ridden and has taken to training like a fish to water. The reasons for him not being broken for so long are different to your boy but my point is that there is no set age or time for a horse to be broken, if the training is done correctly the horse will be fine.