The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bit suggestions, anyone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bit-suggestions-anyone-57695/)

payette 06-20-2010 12:44 AM

Bit suggestions, anyone?

My super-green horse HATES the bit! Every other young horse I've had in a mild eggbutt snaffle mouths it around for an hour. . . or two or three. . . but he is acting like an alien is in his mouth. . . for a month now! I'm wondering if anyone has had success with a french link sort of bit, or perhaps something with rollers? He continually mouths at it, tries to get his tongue behind/above it, and tilts his head sideways in the goofiest way. . . no matter what else he is given to do/think about. . . Any suggestions? :?

Solon 06-20-2010 01:01 AM

Have you checked his teeth?

You might try going bitless. Some horses do way better without the bit.

payette 06-20-2010 01:06 AM

Should have mentioned that. Yes, he has no teeth impeding with the bit. I am not opposed to riding bitless- I rode my Mustang in a bosal most of the time- but I want to try a different bit first and see if it makes a difference. . .

Solon 06-20-2010 01:10 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if he acts that way with any bit you put in his mouth. But there are certainly other types out there. You might try a low port Kimberwicke. I've used that on my horse and it's a pretty nice bit. I'm sure others will have some additional suggestions.

payette 06-20-2010 01:12 AM

Thanks! I'm heading to the big city Monday, so hoping to stop by the tack shop with some idea of what to try!

Solon 06-20-2010 01:14 AM

If you've got some horsey friends I'd recommend trying different bits they have. That way you don't have to worry about buying a bunch of bits that may not work.

Cinnys Whinny 06-20-2010 01:30 AM

I have had Cinny for almost 2 months now, riding him for just over a month. He too is really green, or you might call him a green reclaim as he was broke about 5 years ago then sat in a pasture. It's been a month and he still acts the same way as your horse with his bit. I've had his teeth done also and I've had 3 trainers check out what he's doing, his bit, make sure I have my bridle adjusted properly etc and all 3 came to the same conclusion......he's green and I should give him more time to settle in, meanwhile give him the loosest rein possible. Two of them swear by the expensive yet great tasting loose ring french link made with Aurgian metals that horses seem to like and they are bigger in diameter. Sort of like the Sprengers.

payette 06-20-2010 01:37 AM

Thanks for the ideas! I probably won't find one to borrow- everyone I know either rides in a snaffle or a curb. . . but the tack shop in Boise has an amazing consignment/used section, so that is a great place to pick up cheap tack!

Cinnys Whinny 06-20-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by payette (Post 665726)
Thanks for the ideas! I probably won't find one to borrow- everyone I know either rides in a snaffle or a curb. . . but the tack shop in Boise has an amazing consignment/used section, so that is a great place to pick up cheap tack!

^
don't you just feel horrible for those who don't have consignment shops near them??? I practically LIVE in ours... They used to have horrible hours too...only open 10am till 2pm...it was a crock but the lady retired and sold it and the new owners just expanded the hours...now I can live there all day bwaahhh ha ha ha ha ha

Okay, it's getting late and I've obviously had much too much caffeine!!

aspin231 06-22-2010 09:21 PM

I suggest a bitless bridle, however, a ported D-ring may work for you (http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Pets...T652191_104914). Lozenge links are great too (http://justequus.files.wordpress.com...utt-ergom1.jpg).