The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   ideas for adult riding club rally (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/ideas-adult-riding-club-rally-57715/)

boxer 06-20-2010 05:42 AM

ideas for adult riding club rally

Hi everyone.

As part of my Adult Riding Club we have monthly rallies that are organised by small groups of members of the club. My groups turn is coming up in August and I'm in desperate need of some ideas of what to do for it. Some ideas that we have already had this year include mounted games days, various instructors coming to do lessons, a trail ride (although it got rained out and only 3 people went lol) and our next one is going to be a mock show. I would like to do something fun and maybe a bit different to the norm. The club grounds has 2 arenas, a round yard, jumps course, cross country jumps and games area. Rallies usually include 2-3 hours of riding time. Does anyone have any ideas?

franknbeans 06-20-2010 08:56 PM

We are doing a cookout-bring a dish to pass and an obstacle......think it will be fun, but we are all into ddesensitizing our horses. Dosn't have to be elaborate....I am bringing beer-my horse spoojs when you open one on his back. Another person is bringing a large inflatable christmas decoration....be creative and have fun!

Jolly Badger 06-20-2010 10:09 PM

If you (or anyone you know) has one of those giant horse soccer balls, you could organize a little horse-soccer game. Of course, the horses would have to be somewhat okay with that level of chaos, but it can be a lot of fun once they are used to the idea!

payette 06-20-2010 10:20 PM

When I was a kid, we would play tag on horseback, which was a blast!

Skipsfirstspike 06-21-2010 09:06 AM

A poker run is always fun. The riders have to go to 5 different 'stations' where they receive 1 playing card. The stations can be hidden or posted, attended or not, up to you. Unattended, each card has to be in an envelope (no peeking!). At the end, the person with the best poker hand wins a prize.
If you get rained out again, you can 'mix it up' in the arena. Just have your 5 buckets of cards hung on posts around the arena, and set up obstacle course to get to them, anything to make it fun.