The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   APHA grooming standards (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/apha-grooming-standards-57743/)

Fowl Play 06-20-2010 06:00 PM

APHA grooming standards

My daughter will be doing horse 4-H next year with a 19 year old paint (in my siggie). I'm trying to find what the grooming standards for mane, tail, bridle path, etc are for a paint. It says several times in the 4-H handbook "according to the breed requirements" and I'm struggling to find those standards anywhere. Can someone find me a link? I want to print it out so my daughter can read it and keep in her binder, but I don't want to print out all 300+ pages of the APHA handbook!

sorelhorse 06-22-2010 12:42 AM

umm... im not really sure that there are "rules" to grooming. Grooming styles change and a lot of it is opinion. I can give you a little help though
Always band, or braid for english, make sure all the white on the legs and face are clipped, make sure ears are clipped and clean, shave whiskers, have no dirt around mouth for showmanship, shave bridle path, use a fake tail(dont have too but it looks better and more professional) use clearing on the hooves. another thing u can do is use shapleys spray white to make the legs look whiter.

wild_spot 06-22-2010 01:04 AM

There are definitely grooming standards depending on breed - For example Arabs are shown with long manes and natural tails, whereas a QH is shown with a pulled mane and natural or false tail, Whereas an ASH is shown with a hogged mane and natural tail, whereas a TB/WB is shown fully plaited mane and tail.

As far as I am aware a paint would be showin similar to a QH - Pulled mane and probably banded or plaited, tail un braided and you could use a falsey if you wanted. The rest, just neat and tidy and trimmed, so no super long whiskers or beard. I personally don't clip ears - I just fold them in half and trim the protruding hair with scissors.

sorelhorse 06-22-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 667567)
There are definitely grooming standards depending on breed - For example Arabs are shown with long manes and natural tails, whereas a QH is shown with a pulled mane and natural or false tail, Whereas an ASH is shown with a hogged mane and natural tail, whereas a TB/WB is shown fully plaited mane and tail.

As far as I am aware a paint would be showin similar to a QH - Pulled mane and probably banded or plaited, tail un braided and you could use a falsey if you wanted. The rest, just neat and tidy and trimmed, so no super long whiskers or beard. I personally don't clip ears - I just fold them in half and trim the protruding hair with scissors.

aqha horses may have long manes. most grooming is opinion, thats why there really isnt rules other than the basics of clipping and banding/braiding. stuff like that.

Fowl Play 06-22-2010 10:51 AM

As it's 4-H, I'm not going to go false tail. He has a decent tail, and his pasture mate that used to chew on it is now in a new pasture so It should grow back a little. She will be using him for fitting and showing (halter-like class), Western Equitation (WP), and trail for the first year so it sounds like she doesn't need to braid. Neat, clean and crisp appearance makes sense, and trimming extra hair of course. As he is a lesson horse and we will only have a partial lease, I know that he'll getting groomed 4-5 days a week so all that extra hair has long ago fallen off. He won't be used as much next year, but I can't ask her instructor to give him up completely because he's part of her beginner/intermediate herd, and that's where the majority of her students ride right now.

Thanks for the info.

wild_spot 06-22-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

most grooming is opinion, thats why there really isnt rules other than the basics of clipping and banding/braiding. stuff like that.
As I said above, there ARE grooming rules depending on breed, at least where I live, It may be different where you are, but that doesn't change how it is here.

I hog my Arab's mane, and there is no way I could take him into an Arab class like that.

We also never band here unless you are at a QH show or in a QH ring - I have never seen a banded horse in my life and I show ALOT.

Even if they aren't rules, it is respectful to find out the presentation standards for your breed and present them accordingly, just as it is respectful to wear the correct gear and clothing.

Rowzy 06-22-2010 11:47 PM

Also asking around at your 4-H club or watching a show will give you a good idea. Paints aren't all that rare (atleast around here and I live in WA too) so you should be able to find somebody that can give you exactly what the judges are looking for.

A knack for horses 06-23-2010 12:23 AM

I do think a lot of it comes down to style and breed. You probably won't see a warmblood ever groomed exactly like a Quarter horse, and vice versa. In any case, The minimum outcome you want in appearance is shiny, clean, and neat. A shiny coat with no dirt traces and a trim mane, tail, and ears, is sure to look good.
*And by trim I mean an even cut mane and tail, and managed ear hair

Alwaysbehind 06-23-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A knack for horses (Post 668473)
*And by trim I mean an even cut mane and tail, and managed ear hair

Please do not cut your horses mane even.

If it requires shortening please pull it. Cutting is a serious no-no.

In my neck of the woods the horses at a 4-h show are turned out like they would at a breed show. It is rare to find a kid who has skipped clipping and braiding/banding and you most certainly do not place in fitting and showmanship if you have skipped the details.
Obviously the horse is totally clean, clipped and show ready on that front.
For a stock horse breed go with what is the usual (yes, not everyone but almost everyone) does at a stock horse show.
A nice short mane that is banded if doing western (doing fitting and showmanship in western apparel) or braided in hunter braids if doing english. Some kids who do show breed shows do use fake tails but they are the exception not the rule. Tails are left out (not braided).
Clipping white legs is pretty common. Neat clipped bridle path. Ears, eyes, muzzle, fetlocks, hooves all clipped.
Hooves polished.

Fowl Play 06-23-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowzy (Post 668432)
Also asking around at your 4-H club or watching a show will give you a good idea. Paints aren't all that rare (atleast around here and I live in WA too) so you should be able to find somebody that can give you exactly what the judges are looking for.

I will talk to the 4-H leader, but I was just curious what is expected because I have to do some research (how to pull a main properly for example). I am used to dog 4-H, that's what I have been a leader at, and because I'm a leader, I have very limited time to go watch the horse shoes--I'm monitoring the dog club. Right now the leader doesn't want to talk to new members because she's trying to get the current memebers ready for this fair. I completely understand.

I am a cronic planner. I plan way ahead, and like to know what I'm doing before I begin, hence asking now, when I don't need to know until next fair! That's just the way I am. This time I find myself needing to learn a lot more to help my daughter be successful because I am relatively new to horses myself. This will be an adventure for both of us! Off to learn about pulling manes.