The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrolytes...how much?

7K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Hoofprints in the Sand 
#1 ·
We're into Eventing season now and it's been really hot so I've started putting electrolytes in my mare's water at shows.

The stuff says 2 ounces per 10 gallons of water but I normally end up using about 1 1/2 oz because throughout the day she won't drink quite that amount.

But my question is...can you give too much of a good thing...how much is the daily max?
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
I put it in the feed, so I'm sure he's eating it. I give it to both my riding horses on a daily basis year round. I use Stress Dex, which they both eat and love (it's orange flavored!) and it's just in their smart paks. I just give them one scoop (one well = 1 oz. im pretty sure) a day, and they both stay hydrated!

#6 ·
My boss uses this liquid electrolyte called Dynasparx that she puts in the trail horses' feed after a hard and hot days work. I think you have to order it from somewhere. If I find the website I'll put it on here. I think it's a very easy electrolyte to give because the bottle it comes in has a built-in measuring cup and all you have to do is loosen the lid and squeeze the bottle until you get the right amount in it and you just pour it on. The horses love it.

#7 ·
Dynamite Dyna-Spark Electrolytes are in a base of Organic Molasses, natural trace mineral salt, balanced mineral chelates specifically chosen to address mineral deficiencies and muscle imbalances resulting from strenuous exercise.

The website you can get it at is:
https://dynamitemarketing.com/order.asp

#9 ·
Thanks everyone! I've been using it just at shows since it's pretty hot now and she works up a sweat ;) She drinks VERY well, so I just add a 3/4 scoop (which is the equivalent of 3/4 oz. I believe) to a 3-gallon bucket and she will literally drink the whole thing in one standing after we've done a jump round or she has really worked hard! :) The directions on the stuff I have (Apple-dex) are to add 2 oz. per 10 gallons.

But I did it this weekend after dressage, then after both jump rounds were over...she drank all the water, and that was about 5 1/2 gallons of water or so, and maybe 1 1/2 oz. of the electrolyte. I'm just wondering for future knowledge...is there a max amount of electrolyte you should give your horse (for example, don't go over 2 oz. in a day)?

#12 ·
I just wanted to add a recipe for this. I have a book "The orignal book of Horse Treats".People all over the place send in recipes and then it is apporved by a vet.
Here is a good electrolyte recipe.

INGREDIENTS

1 16 ounce container of table salt

2 11 ounce container of Morton Lite Salt

2 tablespoons of Epsom salts

Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly.
Dose: Use 1 1/2 tablespoons of electrolyte mix.You can place on top of grain.

If the horse needs a quick boot,miz 1 dose electrolytes with 4 tablespoons of pancake syrup and 4 tablespoons of lukewarm water. Put in a large syringe and squirt in the horse's mouth.

NOTE: When using electrolytes of any kind,fresh water MUST be available at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.