The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   I want more abuse. (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/i-want-more-abuse-57803/)

Citrus 06-21-2010 12:42 PM

I want more abuse.

I rode my cousins little-former-cow-pony-english-in training horse yesterday..... first of all her spins were amazing. But since I was riding English, I went for it, posting the whole time. My legs, back and neck are sore and I feel like I have the gym-flu (when you work out too hard). I love it so much, I ordered a really cool English saddle package online.... I cannot wait to get it here. Here is a picture of what I am getting- amazing deal as it includes everything I need to ride English.
http://www.saddlepros.com/productvie...product&id=111

StormyBlues 06-21-2010 01:52 PM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... but saddle packege's arn't always the best buys. The saddles arn't made well and the leather is usually easy to break :/ for just riding around and learning it might be fine, but anything serious, you'll need a new saddle in a few months probably.

BUT, welcome the the English riding comunity!

Alwaysbehind 06-21-2010 02:12 PM

I have to agree with Stormy. Please, before you ride in it, make sure it fits your horse properly. These cheaper saddles tend to have issues.

Glad you are liking English. I am sure you will totally have a blast.

charlicata 06-21-2010 02:20 PM

If you're sore, maybe you should take a little break. Also, if you don't have one already, see a trainer. With your back and neck hurting, your form may be slightly off. When I first started english riding, I started out soaking my legs in Epsom salt, using things like IcyHot, and taking Ibuprofen to help with the swollen muscles. When the rub didn't work, I graduated to liniment. Sloan's tends to work best on my sore muscles.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

equiniphile 06-21-2010 02:24 PM

A new saddle for that cheap, including the rest of the tack, seems fishy to me. I'm guessing the quality is not that good....a 15" saddle? That's like a 13 1/2" Western, isn't it? That seems really small....

Glad you're liking English! I just switched over and I'm liking it too :D

Sunny 06-21-2010 04:00 PM

When I read the title I thought it was a troll. XD Anywho, some of the packages can be decent, but VERY few fit the horses well, especially the India-made ones. Be sure to have it checked. I had one years ago that held up okay. The girths almost always suck, though. Good luck, and welcome to The Wondeful World of English!
Posted via Mobile Device

Citrus 06-21-2010 04:30 PM

By abuse I mean I like the leg workout and the different way you sit in the saddle- more forward, ready to go..... not abusing the horse of course!!

I bought a 19 inch saddle because I am 5'10"....... not sure where the 15 came in.

I apprecite everyone's wanting to be helpful in telling me that saddle packages are not the best and I am sure you mean well, but really, this is not my first time buying a saddle package nor am I going into it blindly.....I am fully aware that I will most likely get what I pay for......

Thanks for welcoming me to the English world.

Citrus 06-21-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlicata (Post 666914)
If you're sore, maybe you should take a little break. Also, if you don't have one already, see a trainer. With your back and neck hurting, your form may be slightly off. When I first started english riding, I started out soaking my legs in Epsom salt, using things like IcyHot, and taking Ibuprofen to help with the swollen muscles. When the rub didn't work, I graduated to liniment. Sloan's tends to work best on my sore muscles.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I think it is a good kind of sore and yes my form is definitely off because my leg muscles aren't the same as when I rode English before. What a pain regime!!!! How long did it take for your muscles to adapt?

StormyBlues 06-21-2010 05:30 PM

Never. You'll still be sore from getting position tweaks the whole journey. You'll always be working new muscles because of the way the sport is and how it progresses.

MacabreMikolaj 06-21-2010 05:58 PM

YIKES! I hate to be the bearer of even more bad news, but unless you're closing in on about 300lbs, a 19" saddle is going to be ENORMOUS for you and badly affect your position. I am 5'6" and 200lbs and I fit a 17.5" saddle because of my big butt - my best friend is 5'10" and only 120lbs and she fits the same size because of her long leg. Being as you're closer to her size, I can say with certainty that 17.5" is the absolute BIGGEST you'd want, and you could very likely make due with a 16.5" - 17" and feel much more secure.